Kasich's proposed budget impacts higher education

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis sent a campus-wide email to students Friday, outlining projected funding figures for fiscal year 2014.

The numbers, which project gain in state share of instruction, are based on Gov. John Kasich’s proposed operating budget which was released Monday.

Kasich’s proposed budget includes a 1.9 percent increase in each fiscal year of the budget for higher education.

State Share of Instruction will increase by $33 million in 2014, and $34 million in 2015, according to the budget.

“We certainly think anytime the governor includes an addition, that is a good thing,” OU President Roderick McDavis said. “We feel indebted to the Governor; he singled out higher education and he perceives higher education to be the solution which is a good thing.”

Even though Kasich’s proposed budget also includes a clause that would put a 2 percent cap on increases for in-state and undergraduate tuition, a decline from the current 3.5 percent cap, McDavis said it was done “in the best interest of students and their families.”

“The cap is something we are going to be talking about,” McDavis said. “We understand the issue of affordability for students and their families. We will look at it to see what impact it has on us going forward.”

In the email, McDavis thanked Gov. Kasich for his continued support of higher education.

“The new formula coupled with the Governor’s strategic investment in higher education will help Ohio University continue to provide high-quality transformational educational experiences for our students,” McDavis said in the email.

bc822010@ohiou.edu