Andy Alexander

OU alumnus named 2013 commencement speaker

Former ombudsman for The Washington Post, and current Scripps Howard visiting professional at Ohio University, Andy Alexander, is this year’s undergraduate commencement speaker.

Alexander will speak at both the morning and afternoon ceremonies May 4. He graduated from OU in 1972 with a degree in journalism, has reported from more than 50 countries and has served as the Washington bureau chief.

“I think it is a nice honor and a great privilege to be selected as this year's commencement speaker,” Alexander said. “OU gave me a very good grounding for a career in journalism.”

OU President Roderick McDavis said In a statement that Alexander continues to "elevate the reputation" of OU through his time and generosity.

“Our students are fortunate for the opportunity to have such a distinguished alumnus as their commencement speaker," McDavis said.

Alexander served as editor of The Post from 1969-70.

“I fell in love with journalism at an early age and The Post allowed me to do many amazing things as a campus journalist,” Alexander said.

Director and General Manager of WOUB Center for Public Media Tom Hodson, and past managing editor at The Post, said Alexander was the “perfect choice” for a commencement speaker.

“He has experienced the university at all levels, as an undergraduate student, as the editor of The Post, and from an academic point of view,” Hodson said. “He then has immense professional experience both in international journalism as well as the Washington Bureau Chief and finally as the ombudsman of the Washington Post. He has been a very active alumnus.”

Alexander was raised in Urbana, Ohio and after graduating from OU he joined Cox Newspapers and worked as a reporter for three decades. He was named Bureau Chief in 1997.

“I think people will relate very much to Andy’s story,” Director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism Robert Stewart said. “He came from a small town in Ohio as a so-so high school student and he found journalism, and The Post became his stomping ground. He then went on to a career in journalism which attributes his success on campus. He has had an interesting career and I think he has drawn a lot of lessons from it.”

In addition to being announced as this years commencement speaker, Alexander will also receive the honorary degree May 4.

“The honorary degree is an honor that we bestow on those that distinguish themselves in their careers,” said Chief of Staff to OU President Rockerick McDavis Jennifer Kirksey. “President McDavis personally extended the invitation to Andy and notified him that he had been nominated and approved by the Board of Trustees to receive the Honorary Degree.”