OU to host career and internship fair

Ohio University students will have the chance to share their resumes and flaunt their professional attire at the Spring Career and Internship Fair on Feb. 19.

More than 100 employers, including companies such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Liberty Mutual and Marathon Petroleum Corporation, will be represented at the fair on Tuesday. Employers from a variety of industries will be filling the Baker University Center Ballroom in hopes of recruiting OU students, said Julia Fleming, assistant director for Employer Relations.

“The goal is to get students face-to-face time with employers, and for employers to see how amazing Ohio students are,” Fleming said.

Students are invited to stop by the fair any time from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday to speak with recruiters. Professional dress and student IDs are required, and students should bring their resumes to share with prospective employers.

The Career and Leadership Development Center has been preparing students for the fair by offering daily workshops on everything from professional dress to first impressions during “Prepare for the Fair Week,” to which students and alumni were invited to attend last week, Fleming said.

A number of students and alumni have had success at the Career Fair in the past, including Jonathan Norris, a junior studying engineering technology and management.

Norris is a peer counselor for the CLDC, and he credits his time at the center for his success in finding internships. He was offered several interviews after speaking with recruiters at the fair Fall Semester, including General Electric, Honda and LuK.

“I have gained so many valuable skills through working there, including better communication and networking abilities,” Norris said. “I would encourage all students at Ohio University to take advantage of the CLDC.”

The CLDC works year-round to prepare students for the workplace. Drop-in sessions to help students and alumni with resume development are available on the fifth floor of Baker, and longer appointments can be scheduled if needed, said Kimberly Blue, associate director for Employer Relations.

“The Career Center is really focused on students learning a sense of self,” Blue said. “We focus on students from a developmental standpoint.”

oh271711@ohiou.edu