via OU Campus Recreation

Ping sportswear rules undergo several revisions

Ping Center is bringing in the new semester with a new policy change, hoping to bring convenience to students at Ohio University. The new policy, in effect as of Friday, lifted the previous ban on tank tops and cutoff shirts.

“You’re now allowed to wear tank tops and cutoffs throughout the whole facility,” said Steve Sammons, interim executive director of Campus Recreation.

Upon coming to the Campus Recreation division, Sammons said he felt a need to reexamine some of the policies in place. With the help of Larrissa Keiser, assistant director of promotions and assessment, they created Ping 2015.

The group, which consists of five graduate students as well as Keiser, helped survey students at Ping Center regarding some of its policies.

After collecting input from the students, it became clear that the majority wanted the ban lifted, Sammons said.

“We also looked at other schools and what they were doing. But this is what the students asked for, so this is what we’re doing,” Sammons said.

In addition, students are also permitted to wear toe shoes like Vibram FiveFingers.

“A lot of students always wondered about that rule, and with so many students visiting Ping each day, it’ll be one less thing to keep track of,” said Julie Muneio, a Ping employee and a sophomore studying nursing.

Ping 2015 is also hosting a student forum on Feb. 12 in hopes of opening discussion about the likes and dislikes of Ping and changes students hope to see in the future — both short and long term.

Additional changes are taking place within the Intramural Sports Division of Campus Recreation. Because semesters are six weeks longer than quarters, the division split the semester into first and second sessions.

“This first session our numbers are a little down, but some didn’t realize registration was so soon after returning from break,” said Sean Butler, graduate assistant director for Intramural Sports.

The second session of spring semester will now be offering five sports, including 11-on-11 outdoor soccer, 4-on-4 flag football, dodgeball, kickball and badminton.

“We anticipated second session to be quite popular,” Butler said. “By the time people realize they want to play something, they’ve missed first-session registration. But that’s typically why second session blows up.”

Registration for second session will take place from March 11 to 13, the first three days back on campus after spring break.

jb351009@ohiou.edu