Ohio junior Lauren Gellerman attempts to bunt against the West Michigan University Broncos during the second game of a double header in April 2012. Ohio won 4-0. (Jason Chow | File)

Softball: Bobcats continue success in Tennessee tournament

It’s been two decades since Ohio began a season 11-3, but after four wins at this weekend’s University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Frost Classic, the Bobcats are matching history.

Through the first three weekends of the season, the Bobcats have won at least three games in each tournament they’ve participated in, but coach Jodi Hermanek isn’t surprised by her team’s early success.

“We’ve definitely had an exciting start to the season,” Hermanek said. “We’ve also got a great group of girls and have got some huge wins by using all of our roster and having confidence.”

Ohio won four of its five games at the Frost Classic, but not all were easy for the Bobcats, despite beginning with a pair of wins Friday against North Carolina Central and Niagara.

The Bobcats outscored their opposition 25-5 Friday, mainly because of five home runs in just 11 innings of play, as their games were shortened because of the mercy rule.

Seniors Lauren Gellerman, a catcher, and Caitlin Colvin, a first baseman, each hit a pair of home runs Friday.

However, on Saturday, Ohio fell to Lipscomb 6-0 and didn’t lead Boston College until the final pitch was thrown.

Ohio entered the bottom of the seventh inning trailing Boston College 6-3, but with just two outs remaining, the Bobcats mounted a comeback.

Gellerman stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and hit a two-run single to center field, which Colvin followed with a walk-off three-run homer.

“(The walk-off) was a well-deserved feeling,” Hermanek said. “We have confidence in our offense that we definitely showed Saturday. We know we can go out and score runs.”

Colvin’s home run was her seventh of the season, which paces both the team and the Mid-American Conference.

Hermanek said that the Bobcats’ pitching struggled for the only time all weekend against the Eagles.

“Our pitching was definitely off Saturday,” Hermanek said. “We were giving up a lot of hits and the opposition took advantage of us, but luckily our offense brought us back against Boston College.”

Ohio wrapped up its weekend in Chattanooga, Tenn., with 3-2 victory against Tennessee Tech Sunday.

Junior outfielder Alyssa Wolfe fueled another Ohio comeback, as she hit a two-run home run in the top of the seventh to put the Bobcats ahead in their final at-bat. Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey struck out nine batters to pick up the win.

Ohio will have a reprieve from game action next weekend before traveling to Seattle, Wash., the first week of March for its final tournament of the season. 

cl027410@ohiou.edu