(Via Billy Matheny)

Southeast Engine keyboardist to perform at Donkey with long-time friend, collaborator

Two friends, songwriters and band mates, will join each other on stage Friday night, where their relationship will link their own two sets together.

Musicians Billy Matheny and Haley Slagle have known each other for about 15 years and have played music with each other for just as long.

Matheny is most known for his role as keyboardist, multi-instrumentalist and “only guy who wears glasses” for nationally known Athens band Southeast Engine.

“When I (play live) it is kind of a novelty for me to do it again,” Matheny said. “I (also) really like the chance to do some stuff in Athens.”

Slagle is a singer-songwriter who just released her self-titled solo debut EP Tuesday, and has played in Matheny’s band Billy Matheny & the Frustrations along with alternative country band Half Broke Horses.

Slagle said the interplay between the two is something she has enjoyed throughout her career.

“It is definitely a brother-sister thing at this point, we’ve been very close for a long time and it has definitely spurred from the music that we like and play together,” Slagle said.

Matheny added that Slagle had been an integral part of his band for years and that he was glad that Slagle was now releasing her work under her own name.

“I’m just a fan of what she does. She really has a good thing going, (with) a project around her voice and her songs,” Matheny said. “I’ve really wanted to see that happen for awhile.”

The show at Donkey Coffee will serve two purposes: to celebrate Slagle’s new EP release and for the two to play music — both alone and together  — along with guitarist Jeremy Batten, Matheny said.

Troy Gregorino, the booking agent for Donkey Coffee, said the show will be a rare opportunity to see Matheny’s “versatile, and compelling” songwriting style, along with Slagle’s “energetic kind of acoustic music.”

“I really think the space is very conducive to these intimate acoustic shows, and this is a very intimate environment for the music they are performing,” Gregorino said.

ds834910@ohiou.edu

If You Go

What: Haley Slagle and Billy Matheny

Where: Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 1/2 W. Washington St.

When: 8 p.m., Friday

Admission: $3