Mariah Byard takes on a Detroit defender during a game against the Titans last season. She finished with 17 points on Saturday against Northern Illinois. (Logan Riely | File Photo)

Women's Basketball: 'Cats show growth despite defeat by Rockets

It’s not about how you start, but how you finish.

Despite losing its seventh consecutive game to begin Mid-American Conference play, Ohio (5-14, 0-7 MAC) showed signs of improvement in a 61-42 loss to Toledo on Thursday.

Junior guard Shavon Robinson and sophomore guard Mariah Byard both returned from injury for the Bobcats, after missing eight and four games, respectively.

However, despite the return of Ohio’s third and fifth leading scorers, the Bobcats were unable to generate much offense to begin the game, as they scored just 12 first-half points — the lowest total this season, marking the third time in six games Ohio failed to score more than 20 points in the first half.

The Bobcats shot just 17 percent from the field and were out-rebounded 27-14 in the first half.

But the second half was a much different story.

The Bobcats bounced back with 30 points after halftime and though they were defeated by 19 points, the second-half margin was the closest since beginning MAC play.

Ohio finished the game on a 13-4 run to potentially give the Bobcats momentum moving into Sunday’s matchup with Kent State, who is also winless in MAC play.

“I’m very proud of our team, not necessarily about the first half, but I give them credit for not hanging their heads,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “I thought Shavon was a great spark off the bench as she attacked the basket and the team fed off her.”

In her first game since Dec. 21 against LIU-Brooklyn, Robinson scored eight points in 22 minutes as a reserve.

Freshman forward Lexie Baldwin also helped fuel Ohio offensively, scoring seven of her game-high 11 points.

Despite a spark from Robinson and Baldwin, freshman guard Kiyanna Black finished scoreless (0-for-7). Randall said that Black, the Bobcats’ leading scorer, was unable to find her shot and could not change her mindset during the game.

While Black struggled, Randall allowed others to record minutes with the new added depth to a recently fatigued roster. Only Ashley Fowler finished with more than 30 minutes played, as she also led the MAC in minutes played entering the game.

“Shavon and Mariah’s return helped with the energy of everyone on the court,” Randall said. “They aren’t 100 percent yet, but they are able to get out on the floor, so I’m very proud of the way they played tonight. I was hoping to keep their minutes down, so we are going to have to do a lot of treatment before Kent State.”

Toledo was paced by senior center Yolanda Richardson, who finished with a game-high 15 points, along with six rebounds and a pair of blocks. The Rockets have now won six consecutive games against Ohio, and 14 of the past 15 overall.

Following the loss to the Rockets, the Bobcats have lost seven consecutive games to opponents with a winning record in the MAC, but Ohio will go on to play the next four games against teams with losing records.

“We are just taking this one game at a time and it’s good to see everyone back together,” Randall said. “We just need to see where we can go if we can stay healthy.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu