Senior Symone Lyles goes up for a shot while being contested by two NIU defenders. The Bobcats came up short on Feb. 6 at The Convo losing 77-53. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Ohio defeats Kent to end losing streak

The streak is over.

After 11 consecutive losses to begin Mid-American Conference play, Ohio found its way into the win column with a 61-55 win against Kent State Wednesday.

The Bobcats (6-18, 1-11 MAC) won their first game since defeating Xavier on Jan. 5, led by a career-high 24 points by junior guard Erin Bailes — on 5-of-8 shooting from downtown.

“It’s a sigh of relief,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “I’m really happy for this basketball team and it’s going to be (a) great feeling to finally go back to Athens with a victory.”

The Bobcats led by as many as 13 points in the contest, as the Golden Flashes did not own a lead in the second half, despite a back-and-forth game in the first half.

Five different Bobcats each made a shot to begin the game before Bailes began to connect from beyond the arc.

Senior guard Symone Lyles and junior guard Shavon Robinson each finished in double digits with 15 and 12 points respectively. Ohio shot 45 percent from the field.

“We have to compliment everyone for what they did tonight,” Randall said. “From Erin’s performance, to Shavon coming back from injury and Symone Lyles. I want to reward them in this, but then shift our focus to Buffalo.”

Ohio began the second half with a 14-6 run in the first five minutes, as the Bobcats made five of their first six shots. The run pushed Ohio out to an 11-point lead, but Kent State did not back down.

The Golden Flashes cut the deficit just five points with 12 minutes to play. However, the Bobcats extended the lead back to double digits led by Bailes’ sharp shooting — which they would hold until the final minutes.

Kent State scored 11 points in the final 1:34 to inch closer and Ohio could not capitalize when the Golden Flashes would foul.

“I don’t want to take away from this win, but we need to make free throws down the stretch,” Randall said. “But I’m happy we responded without getting rattled and didn’t point any fingers. I thought the whole game was managed and played really well.”

Wednesday was Ohio’s first against Kent State on the road since 2008, prior to Randall taking the helm for the Bobcats.

FAST FACTS:

Ohio 61, Kent State 55

— Ohio won its first MAC game of the season, ending an 11-game losing streak.

— Bobcats won a road game against Kent for first time since 2008.

— Ohio and Kent State are now both 1-11 in MAC play.

cl027410@ohiou.edu