Senior Symone Lyles drives towards the goal past a Western Michigan University defender. The Bobcats came out on top at halftime but slowly squandered momentum and lost 62-53 to the Broncos on Feb. 16 in The Convo. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Randall looks for players to step up at Akron

Ohio will visit James A. Rhodes Arena in hopes of beating an Akron team that has succeeded with a playing style that Ohio coach Semeka Randall has preached throughout the season.

The Zips (18-8, 9-4 Mid-American Conference) have attained the No. 1 spot in the MAC East behind a three-pronged attack paced by junior guard Hanna Luburgh, the conference’s leading scorer and junior forward Rachel Tecca, and Sina King.

The trio averages 15.3, 18.8, and 14.7 points per game, respectively. The Zips boast the NCAA’s 12th best offense with an average of 75.2 points per game.

“Luburgh is an awesome three-point shooter, and Tecca is just a bull down low; we definitely know what they’re going to hit us with,” said Ohio junior guard Shavon Robinson. “It’s just whether we brace ourselves and fight back, or just let them bully us.”

Ohio (6-19, 1-12 MAC) has struggled to compete with good teams all season, especially early on in MAC play when Robinson was sidelined with an ankle injury. Earlier this season the Bobcats were blown out 81-54 at home without the junior guard. She has averaged 13 points in her last three games, but knows a strong effort from her alone won’t be enough to beat Akron.

“Certain people need to step up, and they know it, we all know it,” she said. “In order for this team to be successful, we can’t have one or two people … It has to take a total complete effort.”

Those “certain people” Robinson mentioned will be the keys to upsetting the Zips on the road, but Ohio has rarely played solid team basketball this season. Randall is left wondering who will show up against the Zips.

“In terms of producing consistently, we’re not like the Akrons and Bowling Greens, we’re just looking for a big three to step up. Obviously we’ve had one person that’s been really consistent, and you’ve got to hand it to Erin Bailes, because stats don’t lie,” Randall said.

“But, the other part of it is that Shavon has been playing well the last few games, can she sustain that? And then who else will step up? Will it be the freshman? Will it be Mariah? Will it be Symone Lyles? So, we’re just looking for any three to step up and provide a spark.”

In Ohio’s only MAC win against Kent State, it had that three-headed scoring attack going as Bailes, Lyles and Robinson all scored double digits points. Ohio has to control Luburgh, Tecca and King.

“You have to work hard, you have to want to do it. It has to come from within, it can’t be anything that you make an excuse about,” Randall said. “You have to be pissed off or frustrated that they’re trying to score on you that way.”

jm296009ohiou.edu