Artist with 'earnest appeal' to perform on Jackie O's stage

Leah Nairn always wanted to make an EP with her original singer-songwriter music, but she needed a kick-start first.

Releasing her new EP, Spin The Wheel, which was funded through a Kickstarter account that raised $1,240 from just 30 contributors, the artist will play at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., on the brewery side. The album itself was recorded in Peach Forte Studios in Meigs County.

“It was just overwhelming because not only did they donate and donate a lot, but they also donated quickly,” Nairn said. “I had met my goal within a week and a half and I exceeded my goal (of $900).”

The artist, who lives in Athens, had friends all across the U.S. who reached into their wallets to contribute to her dream and now she wants to give some of that back. Five people donated $100 or more and in her video she promised them a live performance and house party.

The album also features her rescue dog, Charlie, on the cover of the CD as she plans to donate some of the extra funds from the Kickstarter account to the Athens Animal Shelter.

Nairn had been playing covers for years but on her Kickstarter account, she stressed the importance of getting a good quality recording for her original music to reflect her style and musicianship.

She recorded the album entirely by herself, as the music sticks to a minimalistic style.

“I wanted to make it a little bit more than a person and a guitar … so I added percussion, bass and harmonies,” Nairn said.

The musician also occasionally shares the stage with The Posers, a group that started as a Pretenders tribute band but has grown since its early beginnings. After Nairn’s solo set, the band will take the stage once more as a cover band for old times’ sake.

Troy Gregorino, booking agent for Donkey Coffee, has booked her in the past and looks forward to the CD and her new original songs.

“She’s got this earnest appeal,” Gregorino said. “She’s someone who is really passionate about her work and I’m interested to see how that translates into her recordings.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu