Commissioner investigates law on Ridges committee

To prevent future demolitions at The Ridges, an Athens County official is hoping for advice from Columbus to reassert his authority to advise Ohio University.    

Charlie Adkins, an Athens County commissioner, said he hopes OU will join him in requesting a review of the law that mandates the creation of a Ridges advisory committee by the Ohio Attorney General’s office.

The Ridges Advisory Committee, a group of local and OU representatives that met between 1988 and 1991, was tasked with recommending university uses for The Ridges.

The group was created by the OU Board of Trustees and mandated by Ohio law in 1988 to provide OU with feedback on its plans concerning The Ridges. Though it hasn’t met since 1991, the body was never dissolved.

Adkins’ goal is to find whether or not new legislation needs to be written to reappoint the committee. He met with Nicolette Dioguardi, associate director of OU Legal Affairs, on Friday to discuss the possibility.

Dioguardi directed requests for comment to Jennifer Kirksey, chief of staff for OU President Roderick McDavis.

Kirksey said the university will respond to any approach received from the Athens County Commissioners.

“Legally, before another building gets torn down, let’s see if we need the committee … let’s have open meetings on the next phase of The Ridges,” Adkins said, adding that he hopes to put a discussion of the review on the commissioners’ agenda for the March 19 meeting.

OU began demolishing Building 26, formerly known as the tuberculosis ward and Beacon School, during spring break. 

“If the committee is supposed to exist, we’ll get it up and running,” said Adkins, whose mother worked at the former asylum for 32 years. “For the history, I’d like to see the buildings stay.”

Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl supports the initiative, adding that  he believes there are tourism opportunities in maintaining and restoring The Ridges buildings.

“It sounds like (the law) is going to an expert,” Wiehl said. “If (the committee was never dissolved) then we’d have to follow the law (and reform the committee).”

A leading advocate for preservation of The Ridges was ecstatic to hear local officials are pushing for a greater community role in the site’s future.

“I would love to think OU, the city and the county are working together on this,” said Ron Luce, president of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum. “I would like to work in a way … to create a much more positive environment for growth throughout the city (and at The Ridges).”

dd195710@ohiou.edu