Provided.

Duo takes on Athens' stage

As Ohio University’s spring break winds to a close, three Ohio bands will bring their noisy brands of rock to the Union Bar & Grill Saturday night.

Obnox, a duo featuring Cleveland native Lamont “Bim” Thomas, Columbus band Unholy Two, and Athens regulars Weird Science are looking to make this show at the Union “a welcoming environment…(although) it might be a little loud” Zach Fuller, guitarist and lead singer of Weird Science said.

The mastermind behind Obnox, Thomas said that he looks to many different influences to cultivate the sound he has been developing under the Obnox name.

“I listen to a lot of different stuff from blues to jazz and back around to punk, hardcore, and metal,” Thomas said.  “I have great country records and soul records. When you listen to great stuff it simply makes you want to make great records yourself.”

Thomas said that his live show differs a bit from the music he has recorded, which includes several EPs, singles and a full-length album titled “I’m Bleeding Now.”

“On record I play most of the instruments,” Thomas said The recordings are packed with tons of harmonies, but the live show is way more stripped down with just a single vocal, guitar and drums.”

Along with the many releases that Thomas has put out since forming Obnox in 2011, Thomas has kept himself busy playing as the drummer in several bands in Ohio, including tour-mates Unholy Two.

“Playing with Unholy Two is a blast because they encourage me to play as gnarly as possible … They’re family and I’m proud of them,” Thomas said.

Chris Lutzko, the lead singer and a guitarist of Unholy Two, said that the four-piece band “digs stuff from the dark side” and were glad to be touring with and playing with Thomas, who he called a “killer musician.”

Both Obnox and Unholy Two said they play in Athens every now and then, usually for Blackout Fest, the festival that the Union booking agent Scott Winland puts together every spring.

"People have shown mad love over the years (in Athens)…and I’m grateful,” Thomas said.

At the show, Thomas said he just wants to see people enjoy themselves, and to have fun with what the three bands do on stage.

Chris Lutzko had another approach to what he wanted the audience to experience at the show.

“Do what thou wilt,” he simply said.

ds834910@ohio.edu