Kenan Thompson to bring SNL flavor to comedy night

He’s been in a barbershop with Ice Cube, starred in a Nickelodeon sitcom for several years, shined on Saturday Night Live and on April 18, Kenan Thompson will be coming to The Convo.

Thompson has been announced as the second comedian, along with Jim Gaffigan, coming to Ohio University for the comedy night, Student Senate President Zach George said.

Thompson will be paid $35,000 for his appearance. Gaffigan will receive $65,000 for his performance, leaving OU with $50,000 to hire more performers. 

The $150,000 OU is using to pay comedians for the show comes from $800,000 in student General Fee money that was initially designated for the multipurpose center, according to a previous Post article. 

The Campus Involvement Center is close to completing a contract with a third comedian who will appear alongside Gaffigan and Thompson, George said.

Student tickets will go on sale next Thursday, March 14, for $5. Sales will open up to the general public on March 18 for $20.

“That’s still nominal compared to what we pay for concerts,” George said.

The comedy night’s date is set for April 18, the Thursday after 11Fest.

A push to have a student comedian perform alongside established professionals has also emerged in the past week, with a Facebook event boasting over 125 members imploring Student Senate to “Let a Student Comedian Open the Spring Concert.”

“I always think that student senate, one of those things that we’re supposed to do is try to make opportunities for students,” said Jared Henderson, senator for the Honors Tutorial College. “(OU has) funny people and I think we should try our best to try to get a student performer to test him or her self out to see how the crowd reacts to their comedy.”

George agreed and though he sees a possible roadblock in the form of artist contracts, he says he won’t stop working to have an OU student or group open the show.

“(I’m) still working to get a student performer or group but looking at artist contracts, some are very particular about who opens before them,” George said. “I’m still trying my best to make that happen.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu