Post Column: Charity scheme hurts veterans, not bigwigs

Florida’s Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll resigned Wednesday after investigators questioned her about a charitable organization called Allied Veterans of the World, according to  Bloomberg Businessweek. The organization was a cover-up for a $300 million gambling scandal.

If people weren’t nervous about government authorities, they sure are now.

According to Bloomberg Businessweek, the scam spanned four states: Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. A total of 57 warrants have been issued for charges such as racketeering, conspiracy, money laundering and possession of slot machines. The top executives of Allied Veterans have already been arrested.

According to First Coast News and officials, the mastermind was a Jacksonville lawyer named Kelly Mathis, who supposedly made $6 million from the illegal operation.

“Claiming to be an organization designed to help veterans in order to run an illegal scheme insults every American who ever wore a military uniform,” Attorney General Pam Bondi told ActionNewsJax.com.

The investigation has coined the term “Operation Reveal the Deal” and has been an ongoing investigation since 2007 according to First Coast News. A total of 49 gambling centers have been identified.

“It literally makes you want to cry. Friends of mine have died. Their blood has been left on the battlefield. For someone to take money is probably the most disgusting thing I can think of behind child molestation,” said Bill Carter, a Jacksonville local and Vietnam-era veteran.

The supposed charitable organization was run by federal and state agencies.

After news like this, it’s hard to imagine that people would be willing to donate further to other veterans’ organizations. Some news stations even reported having a difficult time with veterans because they didn’t want anyone else to believe that their charitable organization was somehow involved in the scandal.

Carroll resigned as a result of the scandal, but no charges for her have been formally made. Governor Rick Scott, who appointed Carroll, said at a news conference regarding the resignation that “we do the right thing for Florida families. … She did the right thing for the state and for her family.”

Although she might have done the right thing by resigning, it’s clear that the right thing was not done for the past few years — laundering money.

Scott denied that he had anything to do with Carroll’s decision to resign, according to The New York Times.

Police are continuing the investigation and plan to have more arrests starting within the next few days. American citizens can only hope that the people behind this gambling scandal are brought to justice.

Jessica Ensley is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University and a columnist for The Post. Should charities be more carefully scrutinized? Email Jessica at je726810@ohiou.edu.