Softball: Seniors adding big hits to Bobcats success

After setting the team record for single-season home runs in each of the past two years, it’s been no surprise Ohio has continued launching balls over the fence to begin the 2013 season.

The Bobcats are averaging 1.53 home runs per game — the sixth-best rate in the NCAA. Ohio’s 29 home runs already rank as the fourth-most in program history, despite the team having yet to play a home game.

At the forefront of Ohio’s explosive offense is a pair of seniors — Lauren Gellerman, a catcher, and Caitlin Colvin, who is a designated hitter and first baseman.

The duo has combined for 17 long balls through just 19 games this season. Colvin’s nine homers, alongside Gellerman’s eight, places the seniors with the third- and fourth-best individual single season totals in Ohio history, respectively.

“It is my fourth year doing this, so I’m just playing and having fun,” Gellerman said. “I feel really comfortable at practice and have just been getting a lot of swings in.”

During the Bobcats’ trip to Seattle last week, Gellerman became the Bobcats’ all-time home run leader, as she now has 30 overall. She also earned the Mid-American Conference East player of the week Tuesday for the second time in a month.

Last year, she and junior first baseman Raven King tied for the best individual total in program history.

Colvin, however, did not hit a single home run in 2012, as she totaled just nine at-bats all year. But entering her senior season, she, much like Gellerman, took it upon herself to improve and help lead the Bobcats.

“I came into the season with the realization that this is it and I knew that I needed to work hard to step up,” Colvin said. “I had a lot of help breaking down my swing and starting from scratch, which has helped bring me to where I am today.”

Providing individual help as well as a fresh mentality for the entire lineup has been assistant coach Taylor Schlopy, who is new to the Bobcats this season.

She said that her main emphasis has been for players to focus on their bottom half, instead of emphasizing swinging with the upper half of their bodies. By breaking down each individual’s swing, Schlopy has assisted many of the hitters in generating more power.

“Our main focus has been hitting the ball and moving runners,” Schlopy said. “We’ve been watching a lot of videos and baseball players on the philosophy of the swing so they can understand the concept and have something to reference.”

Just two other MAC teams have double-digit homers thus far, and Ohio has almost almost tripled second-place Ball State’s 11 bombs.

Although neither Colvin nor Gellerman admitted to trying to focus on hitting the long ball, both have been able to provide key runs for the Bobcats when needed.

“I’m just trying to get a base hit,” Colvin said. “If it happens to go over the fence, then I’m all for it.”

With Schlopy’s new mentality for hitters and a pair of seniors ready to lead in their final seasons, the Bobcats are on pace to obliterate the single-season home run record of 47 dingers and lead Ohio to success.

cl027410@ohiou.edu