Ohio’s Lauren Gellerman swings at a pitch against the West Michigan University Broncos during Ohio’s second game of a double header. The Bobcats won 4-0 on April 22. (Jason Chow | File)

Softball: Unexpected snow allows 'Cats to regroup

Though the first day of spring was Wednesday, people in Athens awoke to snow Thursday morning, which resulted in a cancellation of Ohio’s doubleheader against Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

IPFW approached the Bobcats on (13-10) Tuesday evening to add the doubleheader after the Mastodons’ past five games had been postponed or cancelled, but the inclement weather conditions followed them to Athens.

“There are some days when some of the warmest climates in the United States get snowed-out,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We have to try to make the best out of each opportunity we’re given, because we intended to play (Thursday), but couldn’t — it’s the nature of the beast.”

With the cancellation, Ohio received an extra day to regroup before hosting Canisius (11-6) for a doubleheader Saturday.

The Golden Griffins and Bobcats have reflected similar trends this season. Canisius began the year 7-1, but has since cooled off, much like Ohio, which is in the midst of a five-game losing streak.

“We need to gear up for practice Friday and get into a mode where we are relaxed so we can start to build confidence and gel together before playing Canisius (on) Saturday,” Hermanek said.

But both teams differ in how they’ve won their games. Canisius has hit just three home runs, despite averaging more than six runs per game and posting a team batting average of .308.

On the other hand, Ohio has scored the majority of its runs by the long ball, as the Bobcats have belted 32 home runs this season — already marking the third-most for a season in program history.

While the NCAA’s composite statistics have not been updated since the beginning of the week, senior first baseman Caitlin Colvin began the week eighth in the country with 10 home runs. She has since hit another homer, giving her 11 on the season, which leads the Bobcats and the Mid-American Conference.

However, Ohio as a team has experienced a drought offensively during the season-long losing streak. The Bobcats have been outscored 42-13 in their past five games, but are hopeful to breakout of the slump Saturday, though it might not be easy.

Junior pitcher Jen Consaul leads the Golden Griffins inside the circle with seven wins, 46 strikeouts and a 2.33 ERA. She has also pitched a team-high 69 innings this season, but senior Amanda Baun has also recorded a 2.57 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 30 innings pitched.

The teams have not played each other since 2011, when Ohio won 6-0, while both teams were playing in a California tournament.

“We just need to get lead outs each inning and keep the walk count down, while also scoring first and often. We need to come out offensively strong at the start and find our ‘knock the pitcher out’ mentality,” Hermanek.

cl027410@ohiou.edu