Student Senate discusses guaranteed tuition program, passes contact information resolution

After taking a two-week hiatus, Ohio University Student Senate reconvened on Wednesday evening to reopen discussion on and pass a resolution brought up prior to the break.

The meeting kicked off by announcing several upcoming events being hosted on campus this month.

There will be an OU STAND Against Genocide event on Friday. STAND is pairing with One Million Bones to bring a collection of clay bones to Howard Park to represent the millions of lives lost due to genocide.

With Pride Week coming up, Student Senate is filming a campus-wide “It Gets Better” video. Students can stop by Baker 306 from 5-7 p.m. if they want to participate in the video.

Jacob Chaffin and Matthew Farmer continued conversation about the guaranteed tuition program.

“It’s not going to alleviate student debt. It’s not a cost saving thing,” Chaffin told Senate.

Chaffin and Farmer, both opposing the program, encouraged the Senate to have further conversation with the university about the guaranteed tuition program.

After the minutes and agenda were adopted, the Senate reopened discussion on the Feb. 21 meeting’s topic of students providing the university with emergency contact information.

The last Senate meeting grew quite heated between members as some opposed the university forcing students to give out emergency contact information, while others were in favor of it.

The heated discussion led to the executives adding a provision saying OU should provide students with an "opt-out" option, so they are not required to give the university their personal information to take classes

After many opinions were voiced, the Senate extended discussion on the topic twice before deciding to postpone the vote until Wednesday’s meeting, when emotions were more in check.

The resolution for students to provide the university with contact information was finally passed.

jb351009@ohiou.edu