Student Senate discusses Preferred Name resolution

Ohio University Student Senate’s Wednesday meeting kicked off and concluded in record time with President Zach George calling the meeting to order at approximately 7:15 p.m. and adjourning at 7:44 p.m.

In those 29 minutes, Hannah Dunn, the LGBT Affairs commissioner for Senate gave the only presentation of the night, regarding the Preferred Name resolution.

Mainly for students who do not go by their legal name, the resolution would give the option to change their name on certain university documents, such as an OU ID, class roster, BlackBoard roster or MyOHIO online account.

“It’s also for transgendered students that may go by a different name than their given name,” Dunn said. “Some of these students are accidentally outed in class if a professor calling roll calls for Sarah, when really they might go by Jack.”

Additionally, Dunn said this could apply to exchange students who may be frustrated with professors not being able to pronounce their names and gives them the opportunity to change the name on the class roster to something simpler.

About 20 universities across the nation have implemented this policy, including Michigan University, Illinois State University and Stanford University, among others, according to Dunn.

George said that next week’s general body meeting would be slightly longer.

“President McDavis will be attending and we will discuss this resolution further and then vote on it,” he said.

After not having attended the past two weeks meetings, Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi concluded the meeting by saying he was glad to be back and he urged everyone to “finish out the semester strong.”

jb351009@ohiou.edu