via Gene Koshinski

Visiting percussion-focused musicians to perform in Glidden Recital Hall

A touring duo, one a mentor and the other his mentee, will be taking the Ohio University stage as equals.

The musicians, Benjamin Toth, professor of percussion for The Hartt School at the University of Hartford, and Gene Koshinski, professor of percussion at the University of Minnesota Duluth, have been performing at a number of universities in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Their visit to OU will be “Blending Traditions,” influenced by Western and non-Western music, and they will also host a clinic to teach students about the material and techniques used in the recital.

Koshinski, one of Toth’s former students while studying at The Hartt School, composed the majority of the music for the program.

“It is a really great experience,” Koshinski said. “It is very nice to look in to see the other side (of Toth as a performer) as well. We have known each other for quite awhile … and he is a really great advocate for my music.”

Toth said he enjoyed presenting Koshinski’s music to provide an example of high-quality percussion composition using a multitude of percussion instruments varying from marimba, wind chimes and drums.

“I have worked on and off with Gene, so for me it is very easy to play (because) we have similar aesthetic and musical taste,” Toth said.

For Toth, who grew up in Ohio, the show will be a homecoming of sorts. Though he has never been to OU, he does have another mentee who became a Bobcat: Joseph Van Hassel.

Van Hassel is also a former student of Toth’s, who began teaching at OU in Fall Semester as visiting professor of percussion.

Van Hassel said the arrival of his teacher performing with Koshinski is a great opportunity for his own students to see “virtuoso chamber music performances” as well as to learn and interact with Toth and Koshinski.

“I am looking forward to an incredible night of music making,” Van Hassel said. “Being a former student of Toth’s, I know the high level of thoughtful preparation that he brings to every performance … (and) I know (Koshinski) will also bring a very high level of performance to the concert … He and Toth perform together very well.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu