Women's Basketball Notebook: Bobcats fall to RedHawks in final minutes

After being tied with one minute remaining, the Bobcats fell 66-61 to the RedHawks Wednesday in the regular season finale.

Pregame

Ohio will attempt to avoid its worst Mid-American Conference finish in program history Wednesday against Miami in the regular season finale.

The Bobcats (6-21, 1-14 MAC) have never won less than two games in conference play, but if they fall to the RedHawks, Ohio will reach a new low, while also finishing last in the MAC for the first time ever.

Miami (17-11, 9-6 MAC) is led by senior guard Courtney Osborn, who averages almost 19 points per game, placing her as the second leading scorer in the MAC. In the teams' first meeting in January, junior guard Hannah Robertson led the RedHawks with 21 points.

The RedHawks beat the Bobcats 78-56, despite 26 points from freshman guard Kiyanna Black. Ohio played the game without junior guards Shavon Robinson and Erin Bailes.

Robinson has scored double-digit points in each of the past five games, while Bailes is averaging 11 points per game as Ohio's leading scorer.

Because Ohio and Kent State have identical records in MAC play and the two teams split the season series, a coin toss will decide seeding for the MAC Tournament if both teams lose Wednesday.

Look back at the Bobcats' last game, a 21-point loss to Bowling Green, here. Read the game preview here and follow The Post Sports on Twitter for game updates.

First Half

The starting rotation was as follows: senior guard Ashley Fowler, junior guard Erin Bailes, junior guard Shavon Robinson, senior guard Symone Lyles and senior forward Tina Fisher.

Miami senior guard Courtney Osborn scored the first points of the game, on a trifecta from the corner.

Bailes was fouled on the ensuing possession for Ohio and she made both free throws to get the Bobcats on the scoreboard.

Miami junior guard Haley Robertson then made a jumper to re-extend the RedHawks' lead to three-points. Miami also grabbed the first eight rebounds of the game, as each of the Bobcats' opening possessions came off turnovers.

Fowler then drove through the lane to score a layup for Ohio, before Bailes made a jumper on the next possession. However, Miami junior guard Hannah Robertson scored five points within that stretch.

Miami led 10-6 at the first media timeout with 14:17 remaining.

Freshman guard Kiyanna Black checked into the game after the timeout  — she scored 26 points in the teams' first meeting of the season.

Bailes then made a mid-range jumper, before Miami's Haley Robertson responded with a basket of her own.

Miami's freshman guard Maddie McCallie sank a three-pointer on the RedHawks' next possession to extend their lead to seven points.

Ohio then scored a pair of points after Robinson made a two free-throws, which was followed by a Miami basket from McCallie. 

Sophomore guard Mariah Byard scored her first points of the night, with a make from downtown, before Osborn responded by Miami, once again.

Both teams then went nearly two minutes before Osborn made another jumper for the RedHawks.

Robinson connected from beyond the arc on Ohio's next possession for her first field goal of the game.

Osborn scored again for Miami and was fouled on the basket, as she stepped to the line to complete the three-point play. She had 10 points in the game in the first 12 minutes.

Lyles scored her first points of the night on a jumper, which cut the deficit to eight points.

Osborn then stepped to the free throw line again, but only made 1-of-2, before senior forward Kirsten Olowinski drive through the lane for a score on Miami's next trip.

Fowler was fouled on Ohio's ensueing possession, but also made just one free throw. Byard made a jumper on the Bobcats' next time down the floor.

Haylee Robertson, however, answered with a three-pointer for the RedHawks, before Fowler stole the ball on Ohio's next possession which led to a layup from Black.

Fisher then made a layup for the Bobcats before a media timeout with 3:02 reamaining. Ohio trailed 30-25.

After the timeout, Byard made a three-pointer to cut the Bobcats' deficit to just two points, before she made another triple the on the next possession to give Ohio a 31-30 lead.

Hannah Robertson then responded with a three of her own, to give the RedHawks back the lead.

Ohio's Robinson was fouled with 25 seconds remaining and made just one free throw, which counted for the Bobcats' final points of the half.

Halftime: Miami 33, Ohio 32

The RedHawks led by as many as eight points, but the Bobcats were able to trim the deficit to just one point at the break. Byard led Ohio with 11 first half points, as she made a three baskets from beyond the arc.

Ohio shot 38 percent, compared to Miami's 45 percent. However, the Bobcats led the turnover differential, as they forced 14 miscues and committed just nine.

The Bobcats were also out-rebounded 22-14, after the RedHawks grabbed the game's first eight boards.

Second Half

Hannah Robertson began the half with a designed three-pointer for Miami, but Robinson responded with a basket for the Bobcats.

However, Hannah Robertson made her fourth triple of the game on the RedHawks next possession.

Robinson also scored again for the Bobcats to get into double-digit points for the sixth consecutive game.

Olowinski answered with a layup for Miami, but Bailes made then made a layup to keep the game a one-possession difference.  Miami led 41-38 with 15:46 to play.

Miami extended its lead with a pair of free throws from freshman forward Hannah McCue, but Robinson once again answered for Ohio with a basket of her own.

Osborn then made a three-pointer for the RedHawks, giving her 14 points.

The Bobcats continued to respond, when Fisher made her second field goal of the game on a layup. 

Miami jumped back out to a seven-point lead after McCallie connected on a three-pointer.

After more than two minutes without scoring, Robinson connected with Fisher for a layup and she was also fouled on the attempt. After a timeout, she completed the 3-point play.

McCue and Olowinski scored for the RedHawks to keep Miami ahead by eight points midway through the half.

Lyles was fouled and made just one-of-two free throws for the Bobcats, before Black made her first three-pointer in the past six games.

Miami was fouled twice, as Osborn and Olowinski made all four free throw attempts to stay ahead by a game-high eight points.

But Byard chipped away at the deficit with her fourth make from downtown in the game. 

Fowler and Robinson made four free throws for Ohio on seperate possessions, with Miami's Osborn scoring a layup in between. 

The Bobcats trailed 59-56 with two minutes remaining, when Miami's Hannah Robertson fouled out after scoring 14 points.

Lyles then stepped to the line to make a free throw for Ohio, which was followed by a Miami shot clock violation.

Robinson drove through the lane and made a game-tying layup after an Ohio timeout.

However, Osborn responded with a three-pointer for the RedHawks to give Miami 62-59 lead with 42 seconds remaining. 

Byard missed an attempt from downtown, but Fisher grabbed the rebound and dished to Bailes, who made a layup. 

Lyles then fouled Miami sophomore guard Courtney Larson, who made both free throws at the line.

On Ohio's next possession, Byard missed a three-pointer in the corner.

The Bobcats were then forced to foul Osborn, who made a pair of free throws — the final points of the game.

Final: Miami 66, Ohio 61

The Bobcats finished the regular season with their worst MAC record in program history, despite a close-fought game with the RedHawks. 

Statistics

Robinson: 16 points, three assists, two rebounds.

Byard: 14 points, three rebounds.

Bailes: 10 points, two rebounds, one assist.

Fisher: Seven points, eight rebounds, two assists.

————————

Osborn: 21 points, six assists, three rebounds, three steals.

Hannah Robertson: 14 points, six rebounds, one assist.

Olowinski: Eight points, 15 rebounds, four assists, four blocks.

Reactions

"I thought we executed well, managed the game well and thought the players were focused. The difference in this game was (Miami's) go-to player, Courtney Osborn, stepped up and made a big-time shot like a possible player of the year." — Ohio coach Semeka Randall, on the close game down the stretch.

"From start-to-finish I though the bench played fantastic and gave us some really good minutes. I thought Shavon also played another stellar game." — Randall, on the Bobcats playing hard for a full 40 minutes.

"We're now in a situation where we have nothing to lose. It's a new season and the pressure isn't really on us, so we get to play free and with a lot of emotion. — Randall, on the upcoming MAC Tournament.

Up Next

After winning a coin toss to decide seeding, the No. 11 Bobcats will travel to Oxford to again play No. 6 RedHawks in the opening round of the MAC Tournament Saturday.

cl027410@ohiou.edu