Keith Wilbur

'Affable' sophomore appointed next student trustee

Bearing a wide grin, Keith Wilbur accepted congratulations from dozens of suits and skirts as he prepared to assume a role he hopes will soon come with a vote.

Wilbur, a sophomore studying political science and economics, will be Ohio University’s next student trustee. His appointment by Ohio Gov. John Kasich was announced at the 30th Annual Leadership Awards Gala in Baker University Center Wednesday night.

His two-year term will begin in May.

“I think that Keith really represented the student’s perspective very well,” said Ryan Lombardi, vice president for Student Affairs. “He has a really easygoing and affable demeanor about him, too.”

Wilbur, a former peer mentor and OU tour guide, is currently the Governmental Affairs vice-commissioner for Student Senate. He supports student trustee voting rights, unlike OU’s two current student trustees.

“Currently student trustees voice their opinion only through closed sessions and committee,” Wilbur said. “I would like to voice my student trustee opinion through a vote.”

OU is apprehensive of supporting student trustee voting rights, citing concerns about student trustees’ positions being compromised if they were given the right to vote, said Jennifer Kirksey, chief of staff for OU President Roderick McDavis, in a previous interview.

“You have to be a principled person to serve as a student trustee; you have to be detail oriented, and you have to really get the holistic view of the university,” Wilbur said. “You have to look at Athens locally. You have to look at the state now. We also have to look at the students, and I’m ready to take that position on.”

The other finalists, Katherine Clausen and Kendall Triplett, were also in attendance at the gala.

“The student trustees bring the perspective of the students to us, which is extraordinarily important in our case, at least with this Board of Trustees — they’re involved with everything that we do,” said David Brightbill, chair of the Academics Committee of the Board of Trustees. “I look forward to working with (Keith).”

Wilbur will shadow Allison Arnold and Amanda Roden, OU’s current student trustees, at the April 19 Board of Trustees meeting before officially assuming Arnold’s role after she graduates.

“I know that he’s going to do a good job with this,” Roden said. “We have our board meeting in April, and we’re meeting with the president. I’m excited to hit the ground running.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu