The Better Together campaign works to promote social change through the efforts of an interfaith community. This year’s event will join with Thursday’s Take Back the Night march.

Better Together Day to celebrate religious diversity

Members ofProxy-Connection: keep-alive

Cache-Control: max-age=0

hio University’s Better Together campaign, along with other universities, will celebrate the impact of the group’s interfaith leaders.

The event — Better Together Day — is open to all members of the public and will also honor the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s death.

In light of the historical figure’s contributions to society, all Better Together branches will spend the day discussing how important movements in history crossed religious lines for a common goal.

“It’s to celebrate the fact that we’re going to continue with the work that they did,” said Allison Schoeppner, student organizer of the Better Together campaign. “I’m really hoping people can talk about their personal experiences with these different leaders and how these people inspired them.”

The day will kick off with tabling at Baker from 10 a.m. to noon, and will be followed by a meeting in the evening at United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., encouraging conversation about interfaith and social change.

“Other Better Together events are the work of building an interfaith community,” said Evan Young, campus minister at UCM. “(This is not) so much doing the Better Together work, as highlighting the mission.”

Melissa Wales, executive director at UCM, said that she hopes that people who are interested in the type of work that Better Together is doing will come to learn about the program.  

“I’m hoping this is an opportunity to grow and expose students (to the idea),” she said. “It’s a concrete example and an opportunity for (those who) value religious diversity on campus … it’s a really great opportunity to get involved.”

Wales said more than 200 campus branches will be celebrating Better Together Day. The Interfaith Youth Core website encourages members to “#beblue” in spirit of the event, inspired by the organization’s colors.

But planning for the event locally was not as easy as planned after a conflict came to light after a Take Back The Night event was also scheduled Thursday evening. Instead, UCM and Better Together will join in on the organization’s march.

“The march is going to come by UCM, and we’ll come out and show our support,” Wales said. “Violence is also an interfaith issue.”

If you go:

What: Better Together Day

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday

Where: United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St.

Admission: Free

eb104010@ohiou.edu