First Draft: Falling in love again with classic brown ale

We both graduate in about a month, and we’re already starting to miss this town. We have to soak in as much Athens culture as we possibly can. Because of that, we trekked back to Jackie O’s to review another one of their fantastic beers, the Choco Chomo. It’s a limited variation on an old favorite, the Chomolungma (which, we should add, is one of the beers Jackie O’s will soon begin canning and selling in supermarkets and take-outs across the state), and, like most Jackie O’s beers, it doesn’t fail to impress.

We’re split on brown ales usually; to be honest, a lot of them are boring. But a good brown ale, like the Chomo, is a truly wonderful thing, and the addition of cacao nibs turns a standout brown ale into a chocolate brown ale worthy of a standing ovation.

The brew pours nicely and has a good dark brown color to it. It’s darker than a brown ale but lighter than a chocolate stout. The head is small, but it doesn’t dissipate as you drink it. It looks and smells like a beer worth drinking.

You can feel the carbonation in this beer, and at first it tastes an awful lot like the standard Chomo. But it’s really in the middle and aftertaste that this beer shines. The cacao nibs are balanced out by the honey that Jackie O’s uses to sweeten the brew. You get a great taste of chocolate, but without any of the lingering bitter flavors.

Have you ever had a crush on someone, fallen out of contact for a while, and then, upon reconnecting, realize they’re a lot better looking than you remember? That’s what drinking this beer is like. It takes a former love and gives it an edge that you never knew was missing. This is a tall, dark and handsome kind of beer. This is that kind-of-cool guy from high school somehow pulling off that leather jacket he got after graduation. This is the James Dean of beers, only you didn’t know he was James Dean until he put his sunglasses on. This, dear readers, is why we love beer so much.

And the best part? It’s only two dollars if you order it during Jackie O’s power hour (8-9 PM on weekdays). Don’t be surprised if you see us there, ordering as many as we can handle in 60 minutes.

Jared Henderson and Patty Arnold are seniors studying philosophy and biological science, respectively, at Ohio University and columnists for The Post. What beer should be on their radar? Email them at jh350409@ohiou.edu and pa803908@ohiou.