GLIDDEN VIA The California State University

Former OU president to conduct Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band in concert

A former president of Ohio University will stride across the stage and take his place upon the concert stand to direct the Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band Concert Thursday, as the bands prepare for a trip across Europe.

President Emeritus Robert Glidden will lead each group in one selection; Symphonic Band, in “Iris Tune from Country Derry,” and Wind Symphony with “God of Our Fathers.”

Glidden was president of Ohio University for 10 years, from 1994-2004, but has an undergraduate, masters and Ph.D in music. After Glidden’s retirement, what was known as the Music Building was renamed Robert Glidden Hall, in his honor.

Andrew Trachsel, director of bands and wind symphony, said the directors wanted Glidden to assist in the concert and for students who had never had a chance to be on campus when Glidden was president to meet him.

“He has always been a really great friend of collegiate music, and of college bands, everywhere he has been,” Trachsel said. “This will be a really great opportunity for us to be able to interact with this person who is important with the legacy of the university, and also just in music in general.”

Glidden himself expressed happiness at coming back to campus, and said this was the first time in about seven years he had spent significant time at OU.

“You know, I love to conduct, and I love to have the opportunity,” Glidden said.

He said he was excited to be able to reconnect with friends as well as to interact with new faculty and current students as well.

“It is going to be great,” he continued, “I look forward to seeing old friends and colleagues, and meeting a lot of new people. We’re just pleased to be back.”

In addition to the return of Glidden, the Wind Symphony will also feature professor of clarinet, Rebecca Rischin, in a piece called “Derivations for Clarinet,” in what Trachsel called a “fun piece” for a clarinet written for a jazz ensemble.

The music being performed by both bands is also preparation for the band’s trip to Europe May 5, where the concert bands will be joined by the Marching 110 in a tour across the continent in a celebration of the 90th anniversary of the band program, Trachsel said.

“I just think it will be a really nice celebration, there are a lot of different worlds coming together at one time: the students who are graduating, this trip to Europe, … and a homecoming for the man who (the) building is named after, where we work and play in every day,” Trachsel said.

If You Go

What: Wind Symphony & Symphonic Band

Where: Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium

When: 7:30 Thursday

Admission: Free

ds834910@ohiou.edu