LGBTA community members to be honored at annual ceremony

Sunday, Ohio University’s LGBT Center will honor LGBTA graduating seniors and the achievements of the community’s underclassmen at Pride Graduation.

The ceremony, which has been held for over a decade, originally began as an informal dinner that Mickey Hart, former director of the LGBTA Center, hosted at his home for graduating seniors. The ceremony eventually evolved to a formal dinner and ceremony.

“It’s been held for a long time and we have a long tradition for member of the LGBT community and its allies to publicly recognize graduates,” said Megan Villegas, graduate assistant for the LGBT Center. “I think it’s important it’s not just academic, but based on many different things.”

The night begins with a dinner and a chance for attendees to socialize. Following dinner, each graduating senior will be recognized and different superlatives, which are decided by popular vote, will be awarded including “Most Out Loud and Proud” and “Most Fabulous.”

Different staff member awards, decided by Susanne Dietzel, interim director of the LGBT Center, will also be given.

“It’s important that these awards are given to the entire community because some people are not graduating, but we really want to try and recognize and what they've accomplished.”

IYGB:

What: Pride Graduation

When: 6 p.m. Sunday

Where: Baker University Center Ballroom

Admission: Free