Via The Deep Fried 5

Nashville band to bring Southern funk to Athens

A little taste of the greasy South will make its way up north as Nashville-based funk group The Deep Fried 5 prepare for its first performance in Athens.

“We all grew up in the Nashville area,” said Eric Koslosky, lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist for the band. “When people actually get there, they realize it’s not all cowboy boots and hats; there are all sorts of music.”

The group will play at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., paired with complimentary funk band and Athens regulars, The Burning River Ramblers.

The Burning River Ramblers are currently battling for votes to propel them to a top 25 spot in the Hard Rock Rising 2013 contest.

The contest began with a couple of battle of the bands shows in the beginning of March and now the band is representing Cleveland in a national contest against 95 other cities around the world.

With more than 100 bands in Cleveland competing, the group was able to earn a chance to win the grand prize: a world tour, a $10,000 gift card to Guitar Center, a one-year contract under the Hard Rock label and a spot opening for the Hard Rock Calling show in London where last year’s headliner was Bruce Springsteen.

Conor Standish, the Ramblers’ frontman, said they plan to have laptops set up at the show so people can vote from their Facebook accounts. Voting ends May 1.

The Deep Fried 5 reached out to the Athens regulars because of the two bands’ similar sound. Koslosky said The Deep Fried 5’s album, Saturday Night Funk, Sunday Morning Soul, plays off the group’s combination of jazz and gospel.

“We go from high amplitude, funkiest party on a Saturday night, to gospel on a Sunday morning,” he said. “A lot of our music background didn’t come from the church but our influence comes strong from it because of how open we are and how much heart can be found in gospel.”

The song “It’s About Time,” isn’t the single off the album but Koslosky said it influenced the band to hit the road and start taking its music seriously.

“It’s one of the first songs we ever came up with,” Koslosky said. “It was the kick starter for us. It’s about time to get out and play with people, it’s how we knew we had something going on.”

If You Go:

What: The Deep Fried 5 with The Burning River Ramblers

When: 10 p.m. Thursday

Where: Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Admission: $5

wh092010@ohiou.edu