Keith Wilbur

New trustee transitions to 'Suit and Tie' role

Editor's Note: Click here for a web exclusive Q&A with the new student trustee.

Ohio University’s next student trustee hails from a small village northwest of Columbus, bringing with him a working-class background and positive demeanor.

Keith Wilbur, a sophomore studying political science and economics from Johnstown, has been a fixture in the Student Senate office for the past two years, often sporting a T-shirt and gym shorts.

As he transitions to a more formal role in OU’s governance structure, Wilbur said he hopes wearing a suit and tie more often will not change his goal of being the most open student trustee OU has had.

“I’m an open guy. Anyone can come and talk to me,” Wilbur said. “I plan on having regular office hours, liberal office hours.”

In addition to inviting comments from students, faculty and staff at the university, Wilbur said he will travel to senate meetings outside of Student Senate to be proactive in gathering opinions.

Wilbur plans to remain active in Student Senate while working as a student trustee to serve as a liaison between the OU Board of Trustees and Senate. He promises to represent other student opinions on the board as well.

“Senate is supposed to be advocating. … The way I would view them from my trustee perspective is Student Senate is just a sector of my constituency,” Wilbur said. “As trustee, your constituency is all of Ohio University, and senate is just an advocating body of one constituency.”

A staunch supporter of student trustee voting rights, Wilbur is already avidly reviewing the agenda for the April 19 Board of Trustees meeting as if he were a voting member. However, he has not yet taken a stance on guaranteed tuition or a tuition increase.

“As a student, my first reaction is (I’m opposed), but I understand there are needs of the university,” Wilbur said.

He added that in the past, trustees might have changed their votes based on student trustee input.

“But, I don’t see the difference between me giving my opinion to a trustee and changing their vote (compared to) me voting based off of my own opinion,” he said.

David Descutner, dean of University College, wrote a letter of recommendation for Wilbur’s student trustee application. Descutner said he believes Wilbur is a logical choice for the position.

“Keith is interested in the whole life of the university, and to me, that’s what a trustee should be about,” Descutner said. “He’s not a guy who’s egotistical. … He’s smart. He reads. He does his homework — it’s imperative for someone in that position to know both sides of an issue.”

Director of the Marching 110 Richard Suk, who also recommended Wilbur, said he felt the student showed exemplary character as a member of the band as a trumpet player.

“He’s a good player. He’s a good marcher. People in the band like him,” Suk said. “He stood out among his classmates.”

DD195710@OHIOU.EDU