Ohio strikes out with doubleheader

Marshall’s senior pitcher Andi Williamson is known for mowing down batters from inside the circle, as she leads the NCAA in strikeouts with 300 strikeouts this season.

Unfortunately for Ohio (19-22), the right-hander sent a Bobcat back to their third base dugout after a third strike 28 times Wednesday, when the Thundering Herd swept a doubleheader by final scores of 4-0 and 3-2.

“(Williamson) had our number,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “She’s a good pitcher and that’s what the game is about — not letting the at-bats last long or the opposition get on base. We knew the game plan, but didn’t adjust enough in the first game.”

The Bobcats’ losing streak has now reached a season-high nine games, eight of which have occurred since beginning a 10-game homestand last Tuesday.

While Williamson appeared to be in a league of her own, Ohio’s pitching staff was also solid in the circle — allowing just seven runs and 11 hits in the games combined.

Pitchers Lauren McClary, a sophomore, and Savannah Jo Dorsey, a freshman, each tossed a complete game for the Bobcats. McClary struck out nine batters in the first game before Dorsey struck out 11 in the second game, but neither performance earned a victory because of Williamson’s dominance.

In the first game, Ohio’s only hits came from the bat of senior catcher Lauren Gellerman. The Bobcats struck out 16 times, which at one point the entire Ohio lineup went down consecutively.

While game two was not much better for Ohio at the plate, Williamson did not start in the circle — and the Bobcats took advantage of the opportunity.

Freshman second baseman Alexia Cortez led off the game with a double, before sophomore catcher Adrienne Gebele belted a two-run homer over the right field fence.

“(Williamson) kept us off balance really well,” Gebele said. “But it was really good (Cortez) came out with a double in the first inning and we were able to drive her in. It really sparked us after the tough loss.”

Ohio’s lead did not last long, though, as Marshall responded with three runs of its own in the third. The two teams then went scoreless the final five-and-a-half innings, allowing Williamson to earn her 26th win this season.

The Bobcats will finish their homestand Thursday when Wright State (9-26) comes to Athens for a doubleheader.

The Raiders have won three of their past six games, are batting just .231 as a team and have stranded 235 runners this season. The Bobcats, however, are averaging less than three runs per game during their losing streak.

Ohio will once again face tough pitching from its opponent, led by junior pitcher Krystian DeWitt, who has posted a 2.53 ERA and struck out 84 batters in 119 innings.

The Raiders have not played since defeating Green Bay Sunday. Ohio and Wright State split a doubleheader last season, with each team winning a game by four runs.

“We’re going to come out strong (Wednesday) and get mentally pumped up,” Dorsey said. “We came out with great energy and had great team chemistry (against Marshall) that we can build on.”

QUICK STATS:

Marshall 4, Ohio 0

Marshall 3, Ohio 2

— Marshall’s Andi Henderson struck out 28 Bobcats.

— Ohio has lost nine consecutive games.

— The Bobcats will play another home doubleheader Thursday.

cl027410@ohiou.edu