Pedestrians go about business on College Green in front of Galbreath Chapel. (Dustin Lennert | Picture Editor)

Renovations yet to begin for College Green chapel

After being closed for more than a year, not much progress has been made toward the reconstruction of Galbreath Chapel.

The $1.25 million renovation project was approved in November 2012 by the Ohio University Board of Trustees after possible water damage caused small pieces of the chapel’s roof to fall.

In a previous Post article, Associate Vice President for Facilities Harry Wyatt said he hoped to accelerate the Galbreath Chapel project as much as possible, adding that the design process usually takes about three to six months, with construction lasting an additional three to six months. 

However, the building has been closed since January 2012 and according to Wyatt, “work hasn’t started.”

“Most of the work is ahead of us during the summer,” he said. “That total $1,250,000 construction is just starting and some demolition will take place involving some asbestos removal.”

OU spokesperson Jennifer Krisch said Galbreath Chapel is slated for completion in October 2013.

“In terms of scopes, the building gets a new roof, there will be touching up on brick on the outside of building, there is an elevator that will be added and there will be modifications to the restrooms,” Wyatt said. “The main issue that initiated the rehabilitation was the roof.”

The 10-ton, 10,000-part organ still remains inside Galbreath.

“We made a very expensive effort to protect the organ during this construction; it is still inside and is boxed in plywood.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu