Rethinking mental health

Jake Crosen, a freshman studying Spanish, anthropology and Latin American studies, said he describes panic attacks poetically in terms of lyrics by the band Bright Eyes.

“When panic grips your body and your heart is a hummingbird,” Crosen said. “Raven thoughts blacken your mind until you’re breathing in reverse, all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse.”

Crosen has experienced panic attacks his entire life. In childhood, he was diagnosed with Tourette’s syndrome. He was then diagnosed with clinical depression during his senior year of high school. When he came to college, he began to have additional mental health issues.

“I began to have very intense panic attacks,” Crosen said. “I missed days and days of classes, which hurt my grades for a semester, especially language grades, where you can miss only so many days of class. I then went to (Ohio University’s Counseling and Psychological Services) and was diagnosed with Bipolar I.”

According to the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, 20 percent of college students experience mental health issues. LaKendra Johnson, a counseling intern at CPS, said the most common types of mental health issues CPS deals with are those related to anxiety and depression. She added that a common problem for students is adjustment disorders — short-term mental issues that begin with stressors, which include coming to college for the first time.

Panic attacks are also fairly common among students, said Alison Menatti, a researcher at OU’s Center for Evaluation and Treatment of Anxiety.

“Panic attack refers to a discrete period of time that can be less than 10 minutes. During these, the person might experience a number of psychomatic symptoms,” said Menatti, a fourth-year graduate student studying clinical psychology. “A panic attack can occur within any anxiety disorder but can also happen outside the context of any anxiety disorder. Anybody can have a panic attack.”

A panic attack takes the form of a feeling of intense fear, sometimes lasting several minutes, accompanied by symptoms such as shortness of breath, trembling and increased heart rate.

Johnson, a graduate student studying medical health counseling, said a panic attack can be triggered by different factors, many associated with the lifestyle change that comes with going to college.

“Panic attacks are a symptom of some anxiety some people are experiencing. It goes back to adjusting to course loads, big tests, major projects and similar stressors. Being away from one’s familiar support system (can also be a) big adjustment for (students).”

The Center for Evaluation and Treatment of Anxiety is currently researching anxiety disorders, particularly social anxiety. Menatti said the facility is hoping to see clients through the center as well.

“Mental illness is very common,” Menatti said. “There needs to be more awareness in the community about mental illness, and more of an awareness of treatments. … There’s a reason there’s so much research on these (issues).”

CPS offers 24/7 support for those seeking assistance, including “drop-in” hours. Shiela Williams, a clinical mental health counselor and director of outreach and consultation, said the number of students coming in to CPS for drop-in appointments varies among different points in the semester. She added that during more stressful times, such as prior to midterms, more students use the Counseling Center as they seek ways to manage stress and other mental health issues.

CPS houses two psychiatrists, who can prescribe medication and monitor usage. CPS can also refer students to resources on campus, such as those that offer academic support. In addition, CPS offers individual counseling along with specialized group counseling, such as that for people struggling with anxiety.

“We’re well equipped to be aware of the variety of services offered on campus,” Williams said. “Additionally, if a student exceeds our 20-session-per-academic-year limit, we can refer to a community provider. We also offer consultation services for students and other campus community members who might be concerned about another student.”

Crosen has seen a therapist at CPS and has also been prescribed medication through the center, although he is currently not receiving treatment. Although he said it can be a problem that students have to wait to be put into the system, he’s been pleased with what the university has offered.

“Recently things have slowed down, and I haven’t needed to go,” Crosen said. “But (I know) if anything was to happen, I’d be able to go back to CPS.”

Treatment timelines are individual, depending on the nature of students’ mental health issues and how much they influence their lifestyle and behavior.

“There’s no set time limit for when students should seek treatment,” Johnson said. “It’s an individual decision on when to come in. (If) this condition is affecting a lot of areas of the person’s life, we would advise them to come in and seek treatment.”

Jeffrey Koch, a sophomore studying creative writing, said he thinks negative connotations associated with mental illness could prevent others from seeking treatment.

“There is a massive stigma against mental disorders,” said Koch, who was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder at the beginning of this academic year through CPS. “In my experience talking with everyone who has a mental disorder, they feel ashamed and don’t seek help because society labels them as freaks. (This) is one of the biggest factors standing in the way of progressive mental health care, in my opinion.”

Williams and Johnson agreed there is a stigma surrounding mental health issues, although this is gradually improving.

“I think there’s less stigma attached to seeking help for (mental issues) than in the past,” Williams said. “(But) there is still some hesitancy. All students, no matter how large or small the concern is, are welcome to come (to CPS and get assistance).”

Crosen said this perception is more self-manufactured, and since he’s arrived at college, his peers are more mature and accepting.

“Ultimately, mental illness is not being crazy; it’s not being weak,” he said. “It’s something that people deal with, and a high percentage of people have to deal with.

“I see it as a quirk that I have.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu