Softball: Bobcats face tough home matchup against Buckeyes

Set to begin its longest homestand in more than a decade, Ohio will host Ohio State for a doubleheader Tuesday, marking the Buckeyes’ first trip to Athens since 2008.

The Bobcats (19-14) are looking to sweep a doubleheader for just the second time this season, after splitting each of their first four series in Mid-American Conference play the past two weekends.

While Ohio State (21-14) posts a better overall record than Ohio, the two schools match up well statistically.

“We played Ohio State (in) the fall and beat them,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s Ohio State or UCLA or the last team in the nation, we just need to come out and play our game.”

Both teams’ pitching staffs enter Tuesday with a sub-3.85 ERA and at least 178 strikeouts. Offensively, the teams also average more than five runs per game.

The Buckeyes are batting .304 this season, compared to the Bobcats’ .264 average. However, Ohio has double the number of home runs by Ohio State.

This past weekend, the Bobcats passed the program’s single-season record for homers, as they now sit at 49 on the year, while Ohio State has hit just 24.

Seniors Lauren Gellerman, a catcher, and Caitlin Colvin, a first baseman, have combined to hit 29 homers for the Bobcats this season. No Buckeye has recorded double-digit dingers.

Tuesday is also the homecoming of Ohio State assistant coach Jenna Hall, who spent the past five seasons as an assistant with the Bobcats. Under Hall’s tutelage, Ohio increased its offensive statistics the previous two seasons, before doing so again in 2013.

“(Hall) was a great assistant coach for us and really dedicated to a lot of the girls we still have on roster,” Hermanek said. “It’ll make the game outcome a little more interesting and personal.”

Ohio State has lost six of its past eight games, including being swept by No. 12 Michigan in three games this weekend.

Sophomore outfielder Taylor Watkins is expected to lead the Buckeyes at the plate, as she is batting .400 with six homers and 29 RBI this year. Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico will attempt to counter Ohio’s offense. She has a team-high eight wins, along with 74 strikeouts and a 2.95 ERA.

Because the first game will not start until 5 p.m., the teams also will play under Ohio’s newly installed lights.

“Everybody loves a long homestand,” Hermanek said. “Being able to come out to play 10 solid games in front of our home fans, starting with Ohio State. We want to be the best team in Ohio, so we want to be on our A-game under the lights.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu