Ball State second baseman Emily Dabkoski tags out Ohio baserunner Sloan Walker. The Bobcats lost to the Cardinals 8-4 at the softball complex on April 14. (Daniel Kubus | Staff Photographer)

Softball: Losing streak continues for Bobcats

After dropping a pair of games to Mid-American Conference-leading Ball State this weekend, Ohio is in the midst of a season-long, seven-game losing streak.

The Bobcats (19-20, 4-8 MAC) dropped a two-game series to the Cardinals Saturday and Sunday, which marked the second time Ohio was swept this weekend after losing a doubleheader to Miami on Friday.

“We gave a good hitting team too many free opportunities,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We had some good challenges by our pitchers, but we also had some defensive plays that we needed to take care of to give (Ball State) less at-bats.”

Saturday, Ohio lost a 9-7 slugfest, despite almost completing a comeback after scoring five runs in the final two innings. However, the Cardinals (28-11, 12-0 MAC) were resilient and finished the victory.

The Bobcats also out-hit the Cardinals 10-9 Saturday, including four home runs. But pitchers Savannah Jo Dorsey, a freshman, and Lauren McClary, a sophomore, combined to walk seven batters and allow nine earned runs.

Sunday held much of the same story for the Bobcats’ pitching staff, as Ball State out-hit Ohio 11-6 in an 8-4 victory.

The Bobcats held a 2-1 lead until the top of the fifth inning, after senior catcher Lauren Gellerman hit an RBI double in the third before advancing around the bases to score on a Ball State passed ball.

Ball State sophomore designated hitter Hanne Stuedemann then hit a three-run home run in the fifth inning.

Ball State scored seven cumulative runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.

Ohio built another comeback in the seventh inning when senior designated hitter Chelsea Hortman belted a two-run home run, but she would be the final Bobcat to cross the plate.

Hortman’s homer was her second of the season. Both came during this weekend’s competition.

“Offensively, I felt more confident with our last two games of at-bats,” Hermanek said. “We’ve had some opportunities to score, but we need to do that early on instead of waiting on a late call.”

The Bobcats continue to lead the MAC in home runs with 59, but are averaging three runs per game during the losing streak.

Ohio will remain at home for a pair of doubleheaders this week to conclude its 10-game homestand.

“(This weekend) was more frustrating than anything,” Gellerman said. “I think everyone is doing the best they can and we have different people stepping up, so hopefully we can get some wins under our belt soon.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu

QUICK STATS:

Ball State 9, Ohio 7

Ball State 8, Ohio 4

— The Bobcats have lost seven consecutive games.

— Ball State is undefeated in MAC play.

— Ohio continues to lead the MAC with 59 home runs.