Women's Golf: Ohio finishes 7th in Falcon Invitational

The Ohio women’s golf team was in windy Bowling Green last weekend competing in the Falcon invitational at Stone Ridge Golf Club.

On day one, the golfers had to cope with rain, sleet, and wind up to 20 miles per hour. The Bobcats finished in seventh place after the first round of play 14 strokes off the pace set by Detroit and host Bowling Green.

On day two, Ohio stayed steady, finishing in seventh place overall.

Freshman Angela Codian was strong for the Bobcats, finishing tied for ninth place overall with a combined score of 158. This was her third top-10 finish of her career. She improved from Saturday to Sunday dropping six shots to card a 76.

Senior Sarah Tranelli tied for 16th place overall, after dropping 12 strokes from her 86 on Saturday to a 74 on Sunday. Her Sunday mark tied the lowest round in her Bobcat career, while this tournament performance was her fifth top-20 finish in her career.

Sophomore Julie Lechner and junior Kara Brinkmann finished in the middle of the pack of 91 golfers this weekend. Lechner tied for 38th place with combined score of 165, while Brinkmann finished tied for 44th place with a combined score of 166.

Brinkmann dropped 12 strokes from Saturday to Sunday, like Tranelli, went from 89 strokes to 77.

Tranelli believes that being able to adapt to weather conditions, and finishing off well on Sunday will give them confidence going into the Mid-American Conference championships in two weeks.

“We were able to stick with it in the rough weather conditions and take advantage of great conditions today,” said Tranelli, “I think that being able to go for pins and score well gives us confidence, it feels great when the hard work pays off.”

ab109410@ohiou.edu