Via Matador Records

Alternative sound set for center stage

With the Athens music scene heavily dominated by variations of folk and metal music, it would be easy for those behind the Nelsonville Music Fest to bypass other styles in favor of what’s popular. 

Instead, Tim Peacock, booking agent for the Nelsonville Music Festival, turns to co-workers and friends when it comes to deciding which artists to include. The result is an eclectic lineup with acts ranging in sound from lo-fi alternative rock to soulful gospel.

“I think it would be narrow-minded to think other music fans only want to see one genre of music at a festival,” Peacock said. “Music lovers like good music, and we try to create a festival that has something for everyone and where people discover new music that they may not have found elsewhere.”

While the music festival has been known to bring diverse acts in the past, this year will see a greater number of bands with a harder, more aggressive sound.

Festival co-headliner Cat Power, female singer-songwriter Chan Marshall’s solo indie project, released her ninth studio album,

Sun, last year. With a sound that draws from a variety of influences to create a refreshing blend of indie punk, folk, and electronica, Marshall is slated to grace the Main Stage on Friday night.

Other bands mixing up this year’s festival are acts such as Gogol Bordello, Screaming Females, and The Reigning Sound. Like Cat Power, these acts come closer to meeting punk criteria than many of the other artists with whom they will share the stages.

But for Peacock, a less tangible attribute based more on passion than the music itself, plays an important role in his process for hand-picking talent.

“I like all kinds of music, but the music I like the most is music that has genuine emotion in it,” Peacock said. “I try to book bands that fit this description, no matter the genre or style.”

jd202409@ohiou.edu