Walt Woodriff, member of the Southern Ohio Traffic Light Car Clubs, has shown two cars during a past at Cruise-In at The Convo. (Via Walt Woodriff)

Classic cars cruise into The Convo

Car owners will pull in to The Convo’s parking lot Saturday morning not for a sporting event, but to view the vehicles themselves.

The Cruise-In at The Convo allows car enthusiasts from throughout Ohio to show off their modified and vintage cars. This will be the third time the Ohio University Alumni Varsity Band (AVB) has held the cruise-in, which is designed to raise funds for the current Marching 110.

“The first year we had (about) 60 cars,” said Aaron Romero, coordinator for the event and OU 1995 alumnus. “The next year we had 70, which is really good compared to other car events starting out… (One show just beginning in the area) barely got 20 cars. We’re really pleased with the progress.”

Andy Barber, the president of the OU Marching Band Society of Alumni and Friends (OUMBSAF) and 2010 alumnus, said the event is still growing.

“Under the leadership of Aaron Romero, I believe we had a head start on how these events should be put on since he attends many of them with his classic car,” Barber said in an email. “The buzz about our show is slowly getting out into the classic car community and I hope that will show up this year.”

The event will feature different activities such as raffles, door prizes and free T-shirts. Lou Horvath, who announces a variety of sporting events at OU, will act as MC and DJ for the evening.

Though the president’s choice award is typically decided by OU President Roderick McDavis, scheduling conflicts have caused Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi to make the selection instead.

“I know very little about cars,” Lombardi said. “Maybe, I’ll think about what I could picture the president rolling around in on campus.”

Walt Woodriff, a Piketon resident and member of the Southern Ohio Traffic Light Car Clubs, has shown two of his cars at past years’ cruise-ins.

“It’s a chance to see different cars than we see at our local shows,” said Woodriff in an email. “It’s not a serious hard-core judged show…(it’s) a nice change of pace because we don’t have to work as hard on our cars. We also get to meet new people and make new friends.”

Romero said a goal for the car show is to get more cars from different cities in Ohio, and make the cruise-ins a “regional event.”

“My goal is to fill up The Convo’s parking lot,” Romero added.

eb104010@ohiou.edu

— Meryl Gottlieb contributed to this piece 

If You Go:

What: Cruise-In at The Convo

When: 9 a.m. Saturday

Where: The Convo

Admission: Free general public; $10 to register a vehicle