Via Stuart's Opera House

Local band reunites to benefit community

On Friday, the third in a series of reunion shows for The Hitch-Hikers will benefit the city where the band was formed.

Hosted by Stuart’s Opera House, all proceeds from The Hitch-Hikers’ reunion show will go to The Nelsonville Food Cupboard.

“Most of the Southeast portion of Ohio has been hit with poverty,” said Terry Daugherty, keyboard player for the group. “(Lead singer) John Flowers (once) stopped at the food cupboard and there was a sign saying there was no more food. That’s heartbreaking.”

Last year the band’s performance raised more than $6,000 for the organization.

The Hitch-Hikers reunited three years ago to play a benefit show to assist bass player Chuck Mahoney’s family with medical bills. The band had been separated for 46 years, coming together only once during that time — for the members' high school reunion.

The group originally formed in the early 1960s in high school. The band’s repertoire includes mainly ’60s and early ’70s rock, such as songs by the Rolling Stones and Stevie Wonder.

Daugherty said the Hitch-Hikers’ biggest fanbase is local, but they have fans that come from all over the country.

“We’ve been really fortunate and happy with the way the community has accepted us back,” Daugherty added.

Stuart’s Opera House has hosted the group for the past three years, and the band accepts donations from fans to pay rental fees, but all ticket and T-shirt sales go to the Nelsonville Food Cupboard.

“The audience absolutely loves it and the band puts on a great show,” said Brian Koscho, marketing director for the venue, in an email. “Lots of folks who come to the show saw The Hitch-Hikers play when they were first around, so it's a great night.”

The band consists of Mike Guess, Daugherty, Flowers, Phil Fawcett, and newer additions Zach Daugherty and Dusty Johnson.

“We’re ready to rock,” Daugherty said.

eb104010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: The Hitch-Hikers reunion show

When: 8 p.m. Friday

Where: Stuart’s Opera House

Admission: $10 advance, $13 at the door