Parking spaces, trees get the ax for university summer construction projects

Ohio University’s landscape is changing as officials chip away at the university’s lengthy list of summer construction projects.

Trees are being removed near Peden stadium in preparation of the pre-engineered multipurpose center structure’s delivery. The shell of the building should be on campus by July 1, said Richard Shultz, director of Design and Construction.

“The contractor has mobilized, brought trailers on site and connected electric,” Shultz said.

Once on campus, the structure will be assembled with some prefabricated components, but most of the inside will be designed as the center is pieced together. This “design-build” approach is more expedient and cheaper than other alternatives, said Harry Wyatt, associate vice president for Facilities.

The center is set to open in January 2014, but paving and landscaping will be completed in spring 2014.

Other large projects on campus this summer include Bush Hall renovations and the second phase of Nelson Dining Hall construction, which includes finalizing the dining hall’s banquet center. To accommodate these summer projects, OU will close 500 parking spaces throughout campus.

To compensate for the closures, OU opened up parking garages that aren’t typically open during the summer, including garages at Jefferson Hall, James Hall and The Convo for faculty, staff and students with a valid OU parking pass, said Marty Paulins, director of Transportation and Parking Services.

All parking lots should be open when Fall Semester classes begin in August.

“There’s an enormous amount of construction going on around town this summer,” Wyatt said. “(It’s a) tremendous sign of progress for the university.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu