Primary: Six Democrats fight for party's nomination

Athens voters will pick Tuesday the batch of Democrats they want to face off in November for a seat on Athens City Council. The three Democrats who get the most votes will face off against any potential Independent challengers that pop up during the summer.

Local Democrats Ron Luce, Michael McSteen, Jennifer Cochran and Michael Bart are fighting for a chance to land a seat on the council, and at least one of them is bound to get it because one at-large council member, Elahu Gosney, isn’t running for re-election.

Even if council members Chris Knisely and Steve Patterson, both at-large members on the council running for re-election, retain their seats, one of the four challenging candidates will likely represent the city of Athens next year.

The four council members representing the city's individual wards are running unopposed in today's primary. Council President Jim Sands and City Treasurer Mary Ann McClure, both Democrats, are also running unopposed.

Polls will be open until 7:30 p.m.

Council-At-Large Candidates

The top three after today’s election will be nominated on the November ballot.

Challengers:

Michael Bart, D

Bart is a local DJ — under the pseudonym DJ Barticus — and manager of Avalanche Pizza. He graduated from Ohio University in 2005.

Jennifer Cochran, D

Cochran is a licensed massage therapist in the Athens area.

Ron Luce, D

Luce serves as the executive director of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum.

Michael McSteen, D

McSteen served as a council member from 1999 to 2001 and is the current owner of Athens Media Pros.

Incumbents:

Chris Knisely, D

Knisely currently serves as an at-large member on city council and is a retired executive director of the Office of Research and Grants at the Ohio University College of Medicine.

Steve Patterson, D

Patterson currently serves as an at-large member on city council and is also a psychology professor at Ohio University.

az346610@ohiou.edu