Softball: Ball State's walk-off ends Ohio's MAC Tournament run

After winning two consecutive games in the loser’s bracket to stay alive in the Mid-American Conference Tournament Thursday and Friday, Ohio’s postseason run came to an end Saturday.

No. 6 Ohio was eliminated by No. 1 Ball State, 7-6, on a walk-off triple in the bottom of the seventh at Firestone Stadium in Akron.

Ball State first baseman Taylor Rager not only drove in the winning run with her two-out triple to advance the Cardinals, but she also drove in the first four runs of the game, as she belted a grand slam in the first inning.

Prior to the grand slam, Ohio senior second baseman Tessa Bailey began the game with a lead-off double, before advancing to third and scoring on a two-out single from senior designated hitter Chelsea Hortman.

Bailey scored again in the third inning after hitting her second double of the game, before scoring on senior catcher Lauren Gellerman’s RBI single.

The Cardinals extended their lead in the fourth inning, scoring a run on a homer from catcher Jennifer Gilbert, before Ohio sophomore pitcher Lauren McClary walked in a run with the bases loaded.

Fellow sophomore Kaylin Clarke then relieved McClary in the circle, as she allowed six earned runs and walked six batters in 3 2/3 innings pitched.

Clarke allowed just two hits and one run in three innings pitched to finish the game, but she also belted a solo home run in the fifth inning.

The Bobcats (28-29) scored one run in each the first, third and fifth innings, but never possessed the lead in the game. However, trailing 6-3 in the top of the sixth, Ohio scored three runs to tie the game.

Clarke drove in another run in the sixth inning with an RBI double, before scoring on Gellerman’s two-run home run to tie the game heading into the seventh inning. The long ball was her 26th of the season and the 48th in her career, which tied her for the second-most in MAC history.

But, the Bobcats’ season came to an end in the bottom of the seventh inning on Rager’s walk-off.

Ohio finished the MAC Tournament 2-2, which was the best record the program has posted during the postseason since 2011.

cl027410@ohiou.edu