Ohio huddles before the second game of a doubleheader against Wright State April 18. The Bobcats won the first game 5-1, before finishing the sweep with a 13-1 win in game two. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Softball: 'Cats endure lengthy rain delay, defeat Flashes

After enduring a five hour, 31 minute rain delay, Ohio needed just 20 minutes to play the sixth and seventh innings, before eliminating Kent State to remain alive in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

The No. 6 Bobcats defeated the No. 2 Golden Flashes Friday, 5-4, and will advance in the loser’s bracket of the tournament after winning for the second consecutive day, despite facing elimination.

“We’ve been focusing on the will to win the past two games and it’s really pulled through for us,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “It’s championship forum, so it’s going to come down to one run and I think we’re doing a great job of saying in until the finish.”

Ohio took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning, after Kent State pitcher Emma Johnson committed a throwing error, which allowed senior second baseman Tessa Bailey and junior left fielder Erin Lashley to score.

The Bobcats would hold on to the lead until the fourth inning when the Golden Flashes scored each of their four runs. Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey allowed a single and a walk, before Kent shortstop Lauren Kesterson hit a two-run triple.

Sophomore pitcher Lauren McClary then replaced Dorsey, before allowing two more runs in the inning.

Ohio did not score again until the fifth, mainly because of Johnson’s dominance inside the circle. She finished with 14 strikeouts and allowed just three earned runs in six innings pitched.

However, she earned the loss, after the Bobcats regained the lead in the fifth inning.

With one out, junior center fielder Alyssa Wolfe walked, before Bailey hit a double to put runners on second and third. Sophomore pinch hitter Kaylin Clarke then belted a two-run single to tie the game.

“We can score as many runs as we want,” Clarke said. “It’s all just how we want to play and how we want to hit. Our will to win that game was just bigger than (Kent State’s).”

Senior designate hitter Chelsea Hortman followed Clarke with a single of her own to drive Ohio’s fifth and final run of the day.

Following Ohio’s three-run fifth inning, rain began to fall at Firestone Stadium in Akron, causing the lengthy delay. However, Ohio was resilient when play resumed and did not allow a Kent State batter to reach base in the sixth or seventh innings.

“I don’t think the delay affected anyone,” Clarke said. “We always have stay focused, while having fun during rain delays, but once we’re back on the field, it’s back to business.”

Ohio will play again Saturday at 11 a.m. against the top seed, Ball State, which swept the Bobcats during the regular season.

The Cardinals (36-16) won the first game 9-7, despite allowing the Bobcats to belt four homers, before also winning the second contest, 8-4. Ohio is 2-1 in the MAC Tournament this, while Ball State is just 1-1, as it received a first-round bye.

Ball State is led by MAC player of the year, junior catcher Jennifer Gilbert, who leads the Cardinals with 22 home runs and 68 RBI this season. Ohio senior catcher Lauren Gellerman leads the MAC with 25 homers.

The winner of the game will advance to play the loser of No. 4 Northern Illinois and No. 3 Central Michigan before advancing to the championship game.

“We need to rest and enjoy this moment right now, because that’s what it’s about at this stage of the season,” Hermanek said.  

cl027410@ohiou.edu