And Beer, the new brew store on Court Street, was opened this summer by Quinn Schaller, the owner of Big Mamma's Burritos. (Sara Lowenstein | For The Post)

For owner, 'Beer' goes great with Big Mamma's

Quinn Schaller challenges his customers to the Mega Mamma Challenge every day, but now he’s facing his own set of challenges as he steps into the brew business.

“We are bringing in a lot of new beers into Athens,” Schaller said. “I saw a need to bring in a higher-craft store to expand people’s varieties and tastes.”

Schaller, owner of Big Mamma’s Burritos, opened And Beer in the retail space adjacent to his restaurant, 10 S. Court St., on May 28.

In addition to having “all your basics” — such as 30-packs of Natural Light —

And Beer carries more than 200 craft beers with a variety of flavors such as stout, porter, ale, IPA, lager and pilsner with a focus on Ohio beers, Schaller said.

Customers can either make their own six packs or purchase a standard pack with average prices ranging from $9 to $12.

This isn’t the first time Schaller has opened shop in this space. After the Regis Hair Salon was closed by the company’s corporate supervisors in January of 2012, Schaller partnered with two hairstylists and longtime friends to open Court St. Cuts two months later.

But after mutual disagreements and other job opportunities for the stylists, the hair salon put down its scissors in February after about a year in business.

For Schaller, craft brews were the obvious next endeavor.

“It’s unbelievable how quickly the craft beer industry is expanding,” Schaller said. “We are picking and choosing and really trying to focus on bringing in the best of the best.”

Mike Grill, an Ohio University senior studying finance who works at And Beer, said he used to do what a majority of students do: stick mostly to cheaper beers. But after being exposed to And Beer’s craft varieties, he said his palate matured.

“I’ve realized that quality is more important than quantity,” Grill said. “I think a lot of upperclassmen are over the days of Natty and really do appreciate good quality beer.”

Schaller said once Fall Semester starts in August, he imagines a Court Street filled with students enjoying Big Mamma’s Burritos … And Beer.

sl642509@ohiou.edu