Athens chock-full of coffee options

When facing a massive workload from classes or extracurricular activities, students often find themselves needing an extra caffeine boost to make it through the day. Luckily, it is not hard to find a venue that services that need. 

From Starbucks-style coffee at The Front Room Coffeehouse in Baker University Center to organic brews at Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 1/2 W. Washington St., any student can find a caffeinated beverage to add some pep to his or her step.

With so many options, it is clear that students will have their favorites. More often than not, that favorite is Donkey Coffee.

“They really know how to make a good cup of coffee,” said Cristina Romanelli, a junior studying sport management. “It’s also a great place to relax, focus and get work done.”

Lo Martinez, a 2013 graduate, added that it was the drinks, the ambiance and the people that always brought her to Donkey.

Donkey is not limited to just coffee. It is also home to several different types of teas.

“Donkey is the best place for tea,” said Sarah Chadwell, another 2013 graduate. “(The baristas) are always really helpful for knowing the best kind of tea and surprising me with great flavors.”

Though Donkey is known as a hot spot for a good cup of joe and a great place to study, Romanelli said Court Street Coffee, 67 S. Court St., has more flavors available and she now goes there more often than she goes to Donkey, even though it is more expensive.

“(Court Street Coffee) is great for blended drinks and Starbucks-style drinks,” Martinez said.

Though students might prefer Court Street Coffee and Donkey Coffee to other venues, practicality often morphs coffee-buying decisions.

“When I was on a meal plan, I would go to The Front Room and use my Flex (meal plan) because it was convenient,” said Noah Sacksteder, who graduated last spring.

According to a recent study by the National Purchase Diary, 18- to 24-year-olds who drank coffee at least once in a two-week period increased from 25 percent in 2002 to 39 percent by 2012.

With hectic work schedules and study habits, students are looking more and more to coffee as a way to power through the all-nighters. Fortunately for Ohio University students, they do not need to look too far to get their fix. 

“I drink at least four coffee drinks a week,” Romanelli said. “And at least one a day during finals.”

mg986611@ohiou.edu