Keep up with your favorite shows

Freshman year: The time you gain 15 pounds, make new friends and don’t have time to watch television. 

Yes, it’s true. Being at college might mean you have to miss out on the things you have quite possibly kept up with for years. It’s devastating.

At home, keeping up with multiple shows might have been a breeze. High school homework either did not exist or did not matter and most likely, a DVR was at hand. However, this is college, and you will most likely not have time for that. No dorm has a DVR, and classes are for real.

Exams, homework and extracurricular responsibilities take up most of the typical student’s time, leaving any extra time to be spent with friends or, if one is lucky, sleeping.

“I have stopped watching TV,” said Rachel Lambert, a sophomore studying informational design and publication. “There really isn’t time for it, and when there is time available, I spend it with my friends doing something.”

But not everyone has to quit cold turkey. There are still several ways to watch television shows without watching them the night they air or turning to a DVR. 

Have an extra $8 a month lying around? Sign up for a Hulu Plus account, with which you can stream full and current episodes of numerous TV shows. Typically, episodes are uploaded the day after they air. You could even sign up for Netflix for the same amount each month. Hulu Plus will help you out more when looking for current episodes, but if you want to walk down memory lane, Netflix has a library.

Emily Tillinghast, a sophomore studying marine biology, said she owns both services, using Netflix to watch movies and Hulu to catch up on shows quite often.

But if you are like any other college student, you are poor and do not want to spend money on television when you could be spending it on food such as the Uptown Grill’s Chicken ‘n’ Waffle sandwiches. 

A great way to stay up to date on all of your favorite shows is to stream them online for free. Project–Free TV and Coke & Popcorn are great, reliable sites to search for links to your favorite shows, and they are all free. That’s right: Anytime, anywhere — provided the campus Wi-Fi is actually working — you can watch your shows for free.

“I stopped watching my shows during the week and just caught them online over the weekends,” said Michelle Germann, a sophomore studying nursing.

Now you can study for exams and watch Game of Thrones at will — the best of both worlds.

Still doubt that you will have time to watch online? Catch The Post’s television reviews at http://thepostculture.wordpress.com/.

mg986611@ohiou.edu