Brian Evans Via Brick Monkey Theater Ensemble

Off-Broadway play to be read in Athens

Sleeping Rough, a play by Kara Manning, has not been performed or read through since its premiere off-Broadway in April — until now.

The Brick Monkey Theater Ensemble will host a reading of Manning’s play Thursday at ARTS/ West, 132 W. State Street.

Sleeping Rough follows Joanna, a graphic artist who has lost her son in Iraq. Returning to her revolutionary ideals, she burns the flag she is given at his funeral and goes to London — where her son was born — and graffities his face there as a way to remember him.

“It’s a very emotional role,” said Merri Biechler, who plays Joanna and also serves as managing director of the ensemble. “This is a woman who lost a child through war and is trying to cope with grief the best way she can. It’s not a conventional reaction but that’s what makes it exciting.”

Going along with Joanna on this journey of grief are her husband Mark and daughter Izzy, played by Brian Evans and Sarah Warda, respectively. Emily Prince directs the show.

Prince is the reason the opportunity to do a reading exists. She worked with Manning in New York and contacted her when the ensemble was looking for material to work on. Prince said the good working relationship, adoration and trust she has with Manning made her the first playwright she thought of to contact.

Expecting her to send an older play, Biechler said the company was surprised but excited when Manning suggested Sleeping Rough.

“We’re all interested in thought-provoking plays,” Biechler said. “We do a lot of new plays, so we’re always interested in the process of a play continuing after its premiere.”

And the format of the play works perfectly for the ensemble’s schedule.

“We do readings in between our productions,” Biechler said. “The play is structured so it’s half monologue and half interactions between the characters. It works well for a reading.”

Exploring themes of losing a loved one, being frustrated with how the U.S. treats veterans and seeing the dynamic of a family split apart, Biechler said Sleeping Rough is a great conversation starter, one that she thinks will maybe even happen right after the reading.

“We have an amazing audience in southeast Ohio,” she said. “They’re smart, willing to go along with the ride, they ask great questions and are really involved.”

The hour and half show — no intermission — is free thanks the ensemble’s sponsors: the Ohio Arts Council, the Athens Foundations, and the Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Biechler said a second reading may even occur in August or September, but it will be based on the ensemble’s availability and schedule since work and school may then conflict with rehearsing and reading.

The Brick Monkey Theater Ensemble can be seen next in a production of An Appalachian Christmas Carol in December at Stuart’s Opera House in Nelsonville.

mg986611@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Brick Monkey Theater Ensemble presents a reading of Sleeping Rough by Kara Manning

When: 7 p.m. Thursday

Where: ARTS/ West, 132 W. State Street

Admission: Free; donations are accepted