OU announces contest to speak to incoming freshmen

To fire up The Convo filled with Bobcat freshmen, Ohio University officials are asking current upperclassmen to post online what they’d say. One applicant will be selected to speak at the annual President’s Convocation.

He or she will deliver a roughly two-minute speech to 4,000 incoming freshmen at the event Aug. 25.

It is routine to have a current student speak at the event, which also features speeches from OU President Roderick McDavis, Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi, but this is the first year OU has found that student with an online application, said Jenny Hall-Jones, dean of students.

“Several years ago, we used to interview people to do it,” Hall-Jones said. “(This) is going to be our interview. Folks will submit (videos) of themselves talking about the Bobcat experience.”

OU asks students submit a video, less than 60 seconds, and answer: What does the Bobcat experience mean to you?

To apply, post a video with “#BobcatExperience” on Vine, Instagram, YouTube or any other app that allows one to link from Twitter or Facebook, and OU officials will review the submissions.

The contest is for current students, though alumni can submit their videos which OU may share after the contest is over on their website, Hall-Jones said, in an email.

The top two applicants will get in-person interviews with representatives from OU’s Student Affairs office, Hall-Jones said.

The deadline for submission is midnight on Aug. 11.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

To watch the announcement video, click here.