OU students weigh in on favorite dining halls

Attention incoming Ohio University freshmen: Upperclassmen suggest avoiding Boyd Dining Hall.

Of 100 OU students who answered a Post survey, 68 percent said they believe Boyd Dining Hall, on West Green, is the worst dining hall, with Shively Court on East Green ranking the best.

Nelson Dining Hall on South Green took second place, while Jefferson Dining Hall on East Green — which will be closed for renovations during the 2013-14 school year — took third.

“I like them all,” said Lydia Weiant, a sophomore studying anthropology. “Nelson has waffles, Jeff has a sandwich bar and Shively has ice cream.”

Boyd has a salad bar, hand-scooped ice cream and a high-protein food line. Nelson has several “themed” lines including Asian, Mediterranean and American. It also always offers breakfast options. Shively offers a burrito, grill and pizza lines. Jeff has a wok bar and hand-scooped ice cream.

Students also identified Shively’s Grab 'N Go, which allows students to get the food inside the dining hall to go, as the better option over Boyd.

When it came to the markets, 72 percent voted Nelson as the best campus market, where students can use unused meal “swipes” from a Flex plan or Bobcat Cash to buy groceries. Jeff and Boyd markets followed in most votes respectively. Shively does not have a market.

Erika Williams, a sophomore studying English, said she likes the Shively Grab ‘N Go the best but prefers to use her meal swipes for shopping elsewhere.

“(Nelson market) has fresh fruit and it has a lot more options than Jeff does,” Williams said.

The Front Room Coffeehouse in Baker University Center was voted the best campus café, followed by Nelson Commons’ South Side Espresso Bar on South Green. Café BiblioTech, on Alden Library’s second floor, came in third, followed by the OU Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine SAF Café on the first floor of the Academic and Research Center on West Green.

“I like (the South Side Espresso Bar) because they have gelato,” said Ashley Harker, a sophomore studying sports administration. “It’s no different than the other ones besides that.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu