Pack the right stuff, leave the rest behind

The cars that roll in the week before classes start are often overflowing with objects on Internet “must-pack” lists. However, there are some items that should be left on the shelves, and not clutter cramped university residence hall rooms.

DO: Fans

Ohio temperatures spike near the beginning of the school year. If your room isn’t air conditioned, a fan can be a necessary investment. The choices are limitless, from standing fans to fancy units. However, cheaper fans that clip onto a bed are an excellent choice for localized airflow and better sleeping conditions.

DO NOT: Stand-alone, collapsible hampers

Although a collapsible hamper is often touted by businesses as convenient, these laundry baskets that look like giant springs are not a good idea. There is no room under university beds for these to be stored conveniently, and lugging them across campus to laundry facilities is a chore with the awkward shape and flexibility of the basket. Instead, invest in plastic washing basket or a laundry bag.

DO: Decoration supplies

Dorm rooms come completely undecorated, but a lot of attachment methods will not work to hang objects on walls. Sticky Tack works for lighter objects, but heavier pieces will fall almost immediately. Attachment methods that come with products such as whiteboards are often meant to be permanent, which upon removal will leave the wall or object damaged. Instead, invest in 3M Command Strips, which will allow a variety of hanging purposes. The Velcro strips will make light of cork boards and heavier pieces of art. Hooks from 3M will also allow for hanging of objects such as robes and towels, and can easily be attached to closet doors as well as walls.

DO NOT: Books

Even though in high school reading lists were often set before the academic year, buying books in college is a different task. Professors often list books they don’t use or are only suggested, not required. Waiting until arriving at school to purchase textbooks allows for different opportunities, such as sharing textbooks, learning where to rent them and buying from other students. Instead of paying top prices, waiting will lessen the financial load.

eb104010@ohiou.edu