Ridges committee's fall meeting to be first in decades

After months of back and forth between Ohio University and Athens residents, locals wanting a say in The Ridges’ future have an advisory committee.

OU President Roderick McDavis announced Monday that the Ridges Advisory Committee will meet in the fall, after the amendment restructuring the committee was signed into law as part of the state budget. McDavis will announce the chair and committee members later this month, said OU spokesperson Katie Quaranta in an email.

The new wording allows OU’s president to serve as chair, unless he or she designates someone else to fill the position. The committee “may” be formed. It also eliminates the requirement that an Athens township trustee sit on the committee, though one could be appointed to one of three resident positions.

The advisory committee, a group of local and OU representatives who met between 1988 and 1991, was tasked with recommending ways the university could use The Ridges. Though it ceased meeting in 1991, the committee was never dissolved.

Beyond forming the advisory committee, McDavis also announced the creation of The Ridges Master Planning Committee, which will create a Ridges Master Plan. This planning committee will be made up of OU representatives who have not not yet been determined.

The planning committee will be chaired by Associate Vice President for Facilities Harry Wyatt. Its findings will be reported to McDavis by Vice President for Finance and Administration Steve Golding. Its plan will be reviewed by the advisory committee, Quaranta said.

The planning committee has not yet announced a timeline of when it will meet.

“This land use plan will be presented to The Ridges Advisory Committee, whose members will provide guidance, feedback and recommendations,” Quaranta said. “The Ridges Advisory Committee’s comments will be shared with the Master Planning Committee and the President for consideration. The Ridges Master Planning Committee also will solicit community input throughout the planning process.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu