Sheriff's Office investigating armed robbery at Foodland Grocery Store

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the armed robbery of the Foodland Grocery Store in the Plains Thursday night.

Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly released a statement saying the suspect is a lone white male who was believed to have been shopping in the store on Tuesday, July 16, but came back the next day around closing time to look for his cell phone he said he left there.

The suspect entered the store at approximately 10 p.m. – when the store closes – and asked employees if he could look in the back of the store for his phone, according to the news release.

The gunman ordered three employees to get money out of the safe and get on the floor, where he proceeded to tie them up with zip ties and place them in the room near the deli.

The release says the suspect exited the side door and left in a four-door light vehicle.

A surveillance photo was taken of the suspect, who was wearing a longsleeve, gray pullover and red hat.

This is the second robbery in two weeks in Athens. On July 8, Emmanuel Arocho, 31, was suspected of robbing the People’s Bank. Arocho turned himself in to the Athens Police Department on July 15.

Anyone with information or who can identify the suspect is encouraged to contact the Athens County Sheriff’s Office at (740)-593-6633.