Students find places to call their own

Throughout Ohio University’s history, students have come to discover numerous quiet spots to escape school crowds and stress.

They find corners of the campus to make their own — whether it be curling up with a book outside of Baker University Center or sitting on the patio of the building’s fourth floor, it doesn’t take long for students to claim a spot.

When the weather is nice, some students, such as Luke Szabados, a junior studying film, venture outside.

The picnic tables behind the Church of the Good Shepherd, near Gordy Hall, are one of the places Szabados said he likes to sit.

“I think that having a place of quiet contemplation is always a pleasure,” he said. “Sometimes I sit down and look out on to East Green; it is very picturesque.”

Others have found their havens inside OU’s academic buildings.,

“The Music and Dance Library (in Glidden Hall) is a really chill place to study and also to have casual conversation,” said Leah Crosby, a junior studying dance. “There are comfy couches, chess boards and lots of dance books.” 

More traditional study spots, such as Alden Library, can be quiet spots as well, said Madison Koenig, a junior studying English.

There are a lot of hidden spaces in Alden on floors that you might not need to go to for academic reasons, such as the first floor or the ‘stacks’ (on the sixth and seventh floors),” Koenig said, “It just involves a lot of searching until you find the right study place.”

Finding a spot to escape from the world of academia is an important part of adjusting to college, Szabados said.

“Oftentimes, if you are just going from class to class, from building to building, you won’t find that,” Szabados said. “It is always good to have a place that you can call your own to … put you in a place that can help you acknowledge your location in Athens.”

oh271711@ohiou.edu